Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,025

1 members and 3,024 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Feeder Euthanasia the Easy Way, and Humane too...

Yea, its one of the grocery stores up here. I realized after I posted that you lived further south and would probably have different stores. Definatly check with your local stores. Its not terribly expensive but the block I bought (prolly around 5lbs) cost me almost $9.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillyorchid View Post
    I agree Brad.

Caz... please be aware also when you do stun the mouse that in return is going to be one mad mouse. I'd rather feed a completly live mouse to make snake then a stunned one since putting a mad and hurt stunned mouse in my snakes cage is just calling for an accident. It can attack the snake or yourself if that mouse desides to take it out on something.
    I needed to do this for a month or 2, as one of my snakes wouldn't eat frozen when I got him.
    If you stun them right, the snake will kill the snake in less then 10 seconds, and a heavy stun is usually lights out for a few minutes, but they still breathe, still twitch, and still have a heartbeat, so the snake will accept them.

As long as you feed live, there will always be a potential for bites, that's why I try to feed f/t or harmless baby rats, but the snakes always seem to do their thing.
    I make sure to watch then until I see the tail disappear, as sometimes even when a snake constricts them they can wake up a minute or so later when the snake lets go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caz223 View Post
    I needed to do this for a month or 2, as one of my snakes wouldn't eat frozen when I got him.
    If you stun them right, the snake will kill the snake in less then 10 seconds, and a heavy stun is usually lights out for a few minutes, but they still breathe, still twitch, and still have a heartbeat, so the snake will accept them.

As long as you feed live, there will always be a potential for bites, that's why I try to feed f/t or harmless baby rats, but the snakes always seem to do their thing.
    I make sure to watch then until I see the tail disappear, as sometimes even when a snake constricts them they can wake up a minute or so later when the snake lets go.
    Once again, this post is off of the topic from this thread. There are plenty of other threads that discuss the issues that you are bringing up.

If you wish to further debate the notion of using blunt force trauma (aka "whacking") as a humane method of euthanasia, contact the American Veterinary Medical Association and explain to them that you disagree with their findings.

Feel free to add anything about HUMANE euthanization using CO2 gas. Thanks.
    -Brad

Thanks

Okay I just tried this method on 4 mice and I have a question. The cooler I used is fairly large. I put some dry ice in a tupperware with a bunch of holes drilled in the lid. I opened the lid of the cooler after about 10 minutes and several of the mice appeared to be dead, but I noticed one of them lying there still breathing a bit. Does this mean that I didn't use enough dry ice, or was it too much? I think I had about 1 lb in there. No water. Thanks!

Thanks

Okay I just tried this again. I left the cooler closed for 15 minutes before I checked it. One of the mice had a tiny bit of blood, and one still showed signs of respiration. So it seems that something is not working right here. I'm thinking the cooler may be too big and/or maybe not airtight enough, or I'm using too much dry ice.

If one mouse is getting too much CO2 too fast and another one 6" away is still showing signs of respiration after 15 minutes, there is definitely a problem. I don't think I should try again until I figure it out. Honestly I never intended to breed this many mice, if any. I certainly don't really want to be torturing them.

Thanks

how long it takes for a newborn rat to get that size?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lytlesnake View Post
    Okay I just tried this again. I left the cooler closed for 15 minutes before I checked it. One of the mice had a tiny bit of blood, and one still showed signs of respiration. So it seems that something is not working right here. I'm thinking the cooler may be too big and/or maybe not airtight enough, or I'm using too much dry ice.

If one mouse is getting too much CO2 too fast and another one 6" away is still showing signs of respiration after 15 minutes, there is definitely a problem. I don't think I should try again until I figure it out. Honestly I never intended to breed this many mice, if any. I certainly don't really want to be torturing them.
    I'm not sure what the problem is... do you use a styrofoam cooler? One of the cheap ones or an actual cooler like an igloo cooler?

Drugaria,
    What size are you asking about? Do you want to know when they are old enough to put down effectively with CO2?

Thanks

Well, I was asking how long it takes for a new liter to reach size medium? I am seriously considering into establishing a short food chain. My Boa and other snakes are growing extremely fast and I'm getting tired of buying Petco's expensive frozen rats.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thats the way i do mine. The only draw back is the store i get my try ice now makes me buy 5lbs of it at a time

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis View Post

If you wish to further debate the notion of using blunt force trauma (aka "whacking") as a humane method of euthanasia, contact the American Veterinary Medical Association and explain to them that you disagree with their findings.

Feel free to add anything about HUMANE euthanization using CO2 gas. Thanks.
    I agree that blunt force trauma is not a humane method of euthanasia.

More importantly, CO2 generated from dry ice is also unacceptable according to the 2007 American Veterinary Medical Association's Guidelines on Euthanasia because the inflow of CO2 can not be regulated precisely.

Compressed CO2 gas in cylinders is the ONLY recommended source of carbon dioxide because the inflow to the chamber can be regulated precisely.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast