Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,894

3 members and 2,891 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Feeder Euthanasia the Easy Way, and Humane too...

Oh, wow. Good thing I found out about this first. I was just about to buy 25 lbs. Another way to do this is using liquid CO2 pretty much the same way. Has anyone ever done this before? I think you just put the CO2 in a container like the dry ice and it works the same way. Well, this probably has to be the same temp. as dry ice wouldn't you think? Maybe I'll just stick with the gas tanks even though they are much more expensive than dry ice i think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bdadawg
    Without the water you will need to keep them in an extra amount of time ... One of my friends called me up cause his rabbits were screaming after he Co2'd em. He hadnt put in enough water, causing the dry ice not to sublimate fast enough, and had pulled them out after 4 minutes.

Bryan
    Quite the opposite is, in fact, true. He probably added TOO MUCH water, which increased the CO2 levels too quickly. Doing this completely negates the humane qualities of this method.

The idea is to slowly increase the levels of CO2 so it gradually reaches a point where its an anesthetic/depressant, and after the animal is asleep, deadly levels are reached and the animal is dispatched without any pain or awareness of whats going on.
    -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nathanledet
    I've done this before. And while it is easy to do, it ended up being a very uncessary expense for me. I have not done the research on where to buy Dry Ice down here in Orlando, but in Arkansas, where I used to live there was only one place to buy Dry Ice, Kroger. And they sold me a 10 pound block...

Ok you think that's great...you can just chip off alittle peice and use it today, and save the rest for later. Doesn't work that way...you need a freezer that is cold enough to keep the dry ice from turning into a gas. Our regular freezers will keep an 8 pound block for a few days, at most...
    For you yeah, but it works great if you have access to it in small quantities. The Kroger I bought it from let me choose the amount I wanted. I went with about 3 lbs, just to be sure I had enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanledet

So what was my way of euthanising rats turned into making a crap load of fog and dry ice bombs.
    ...that was kinda fun too....
    -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwk811
    Oh, wow. Good thing I found out about this first. I was just about to buy 25 lbs. Another way to do this is using liquid CO2 pretty much the same way. Has anyone ever done this before? I think you just put the CO2 in a container like the dry ice and it works the same way. Well, this probably has to be the same temp. as dry ice wouldn't you think? Maybe I'll just stick with the gas tanks even though they are much more expensive than dry ice i think.
    Just be careful with the gas tanks and delivery of the gas. Remember the idea here is to increase the concentration of CO2 slowly.
    -Brad

Thanks

lol I will check with the Publix down here to see what they have. Thanks for the info.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    Just be careful with the gas tanks and delivery of the gas. Remember the idea here is to increase the concentration of CO2 slowly.
    I'm going to stick with the paint ball CO2 canisters. Someone told me about them and that they work good like that. I'm decided not to buy a big tank. I think the little paintball tanks will work good, do you think so?

Thanks

Never tried it....
    -Brad

Thanks

do the gases escape with the cooler open or do you close the cooler when you do this?

Thanks

close it.

Thanks

i have two questions about using this method. first when the process is done is the ice that you put in there gone? and if it is not what do you do with the left over ice?

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast