Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,517

1 members and 3,516 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Feeder Euthanasia the Easy Way, and Humane too...

Quote Originally Posted by RoseyReps View Post
    Did you just agree with yourself? O_o
    I wondered the same.

I suspect it is more likely they found another post saying something similar when reading through the thread and just didn't quote it.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    I figured that was the case. Just couldn't help snickering
    Not that there is anything wrong with talking to yourself. I do it all the time. The arguments are quite entertaining.

Thanks
    Not only I am in agreement with myself, but also with everybody else that has posted the proper way to euthanize fellow mammals with a central nervous system just like yourself. Placing rats in the freezer live??????? WTF ???????????
    ACCOUNT CANCELLED BY USER

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    I wondered the same.

I suspect it is more likely they found another post saying something similar when reading through the thread and just didn't quote it.
    Nice work, detectives!!!
    Last edited by enchinoman; 11-17-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Thanks

OK so after reading that long and tedious 17 page forum and doing a bit of my own research throughout today yes dry ice can be inhumane if you prim the container, if you expose the rodent directly to the dry ice, and if you add water to speed the process
    I have found discrepancies in the time as 5 min is not long enough if it is anything younger than an adult with a maximum time for rats being 20 mins for fuzzies and not recommended at all for pinkies
    I also have read the regulations set out and that the only method to dispense co2 correctly is with a full lab setup and co2 canister

Now realistically using either method works and if administered properly is humane in a since when you get right down to it killing anything for a reason other than to prolong an already agonizing situation could be considered inhumane. For reasons of cost effectiveness co2 canister is in the long run cheaper due to storage issues with block dry ice how ever start up cost are not cost effective for someone starting out, feeding on a budget, or only having to dispense of rodents on a periodic basis - for those rodent breeder on much smaller scales I could see how the dry ice method would work best.

I however really did not see any point in the almost year long argument over rather or not using dry ice was inhumane and did not help any of those people that where looking for a cost effective way to humanely dispense of their rodents before feeding. which eventually lead to the grossly inhumane methods of breaking necks, stunning, and just all around methods of bludgeoning the poor fellow for the sake of natural order.

I myself use to feed live when I had snakes years ago and find f/t very convenient however expensive. With a recent adoption from a military man that could no longer care for his red tail boa I got a breeder setup of rats and sought this forum on how best to dispense of them once they reached appropriate size seeing as there are far to many for me to feed even once a week between one red tail boa and 2 ball pythons.

I commend everyone's strong opinions and views looking out for the safety and humane dispensing of the feeders but please remember that killing them just to feed them to another animal isn't in itself humane to start with. I love my steak just as much as the next omnivore and heck I even like tofu and soy products that doesn't mean that I find it any less cruel that for me to have that steak a bull is sent to slaughter in what is claimed to be humane conditions and we all know they are not so humane yet we all still eat. In an informative sticky you would think that there could have been less arguing outright in the forum and keeping directly to the point.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dark Lady Kat For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (10-12-2013),Luciferskeeper (06-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lady Kat View Post
    OK so after reading that long and tedious 17 page forum and doing a bit of my own research throughout today yes dry ice can be inhumane if you prim the container, if you expose the rodent directly to the dry ice, and if you add water to speed the process
    I have found discrepancies in the time as 5 min is not long enough if it is anything younger than an adult with a maximum time for rats being 20 mins for fuzzies and not recommended at all for pinkies
    I also have read the regulations set out and that the only method to dispense co2 correctly is with a full lab setup and co2 canister

Now realistically using either method works and if administered properly is humane in a since when you get right down to it killing anything for a reason other than to prolong an already agonizing situation could be considered inhumane. For reasons of cost effectiveness co2 canister is in the long run cheaper due to storage issues with block dry ice how ever start up cost are not cost effective for someone starting out, feeding on a budget, or only having to dispense of rodents on a periodic basis - for those rodent breeder on much smaller scales I could see how the dry ice method would work best.

I however really did not see any point in the almost year long argument over rather or not using dry ice was inhumane and did not help any of those people that where looking for a cost effective way to humanely dispense of their rodents before feeding. which eventually lead to the grossly inhumane methods of breaking necks, stunning, and just all around methods of bludgeoning the poor fellow for the sake of natural order.

I myself use to feed live when I had snakes years ago and find f/t very convenient however expensive. With a recent adoption from a military man that could no longer care for his red tail boa I got a breeder setup of rats and sought this forum on how best to dispense of them once they reached appropriate size seeing as there are far to many for me to feed even once a week between one red tail boa and 2 ball pythons.

I commend everyone's strong opinions and views looking out for the safety and humane dispensing of the feeders but please remember that killing them just to feed them to another animal isn't in itself humane to start with. I love my steak just as much as the next omnivore and heck I even like tofu and soy products that doesn't mean that I find it any less cruel that for me to have that steak a bull is sent to slaughter in what is claimed to be humane conditions and we all know they are not so humane yet we all still eat. In an informative sticky you would think that there could have been less arguing outright in the forum and keeping directly to the point.
    Leaving an animal to die a humane method vs a painful method matters regardless if they're going to be food or not.

Cervical dislocation is actually one of the more humane methods.

Anyway, there are hundreds of threads in regard to this topic. Some more recent than this. I recommend taking a look at some of those as well....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    BP.net should remove this sticky because I've read several articles that using dry ice isn't humane. Only CO2 and cervical dislocation are considered humane.

Thanks

Interesting read until the egos got into play. Here's my one question in regards to this method.

If I go the dry ice route, after a couple minutes the rat/mice will be dead. What's their body temperature? Is other words, am I going to have to bring their temp back up, or are they ready to be fed?

Thanks

Feeder Euthanasia the Easy Way, and Humane too...

I think dry ice cools their temp some, not sure tho cuz from what I can tell no direct contact with the ice but the gas itself i would assume is cooler. I don't use dry ice so not for sure on that but I have a buddy who if he feeds right after he hits them with the hair drier but could just be habit
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast