Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,075

1 members and 3,074 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Field herping?

Thanks

Field herping?

I have a little area behind my backyard that has some rocks and twigs and stuff like that. There aren't any bodies of water out there. Anyways, do you think there might be any snakes there? Also, there's a creek that I walk to a mile away and I was wondering how to find a snake. Are there any tips on how to find a snake? If I find a watersnake that bites me, do I need to go to a hospital?
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks

Re: Field herping?

First rule of field herping: Do not pick up anything that you can not identifiy.

Before you start going out catching any snakes, you might want to pick up a good reptile field book for your area (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039...4438?ie=UTF8): that is the one that I use.

I have read my field book front and back several times...those kind of books will give you descriptions of habitat where the snakes can be found which is very helpful if looking for something specific...and just because I don't want to accidentally pick up a coral snake when looking for kingsnakes

There may be snakes in that area....best way to find out is to go look. Get yourself a good walking stick to flip some rocks, tin, shingles, etc....over.

Second rule of herping: Always leave things the way you found them.

Be careful when you are flipping stuff not to crush any animals and put anything that is moved back in its original location. This will help preserve the environment. If you take care when field herping, you can even go back day after day and find the same animal.

Third rule of field herping: Don't pick up venomous snakes unless you are experienced in handling them.

Thats where your 'do I need to go to the hospital' question comes into play. I have a fair amount of field experience but still shy away from picking anything venomous....just because I do not want to risk it. If you are aware of the animals in your area, you will know which ones are ok to handle (and get bit by) and which ones are not.

Good luck field herping....hopefully that helps a bit....ask anymore questions if you can think of them....I love talking field herping
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bpkid
    I have a little area behind my backyard that has some rocks and twigs and stuff like that. There aren't any bodies of water out there. Anyways, do you think there might be any snakes there? Also, there's a creek that I walk to a mile away and I was wondering how to find a snake. Are there any tips on how to find a snake?
    definitely try it. who knows what you could find.

another good book to pick up is the national audubon society field guide to reptiles and amphibians. it has all the reptiles and amphibians in northern america including introduced and feral species. very good field book. i also recommend picking up a snake hook from midwest tongs if your gonna get serious about it. great quality

there's not really a specific way to look for a herp out in the field, you just have to know their habitats and habits. for example. to find a norther pacific rattlesnakes out here you need to walk around an oak or pine forest with scattered rocks, or around thick bushes like blackberry bushes (there's a peticular spot on the side of the road leaving out property that has thick blackberry bushes on either side).

you also have to pick the right time of day for the snake you want to see. northern pacifics come out while the suns going down and a little bit after. to find nocturnal species then you'll have to flip over log's or rocks and that can't hurt to find the species your looking for either, espesscially if its in the middle of the day.

Third rule of field herping: Don't pick up venomous snakes unless you are experienced in handling them
    hehehe that's definitely a good one to remember.

If I find a watersnake that bites me, do I need to go to a hospital?
    it depends. what kind of watersnake? if its a cotton mouth then yes but if its a diamond back or broad-banded watersnake then all you'll need to do is wash out the wound with soap and water.

happy herpin'!

Last edited by mr~python; 08-09-2006 at 01:31 PM.
    -marshall

Thanks

Not much venemous here. All we have here is a copperhead (which should be easy to identify), and timber rattlesnakes (which I am looking up right now so I can identify it.)

See, I was wondering about water snakes because I read that if they bite you, you will bleed profusely. That's why I asked the question about them.

I would never, EVER, pick up anything venemous, or even looking venemous.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

you could definitely have things like toads & ribbon/garter snakes
    my yard is quite large and I have found milk snakes, ribbon snakes, black snakes, redfoot wood turtles, many kinds of frogs and toads, and an occasional salamander. wherever there are bugs, there are typically reptiles

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

We are a pleathera of hot snake. Coral, Timber rattlers, Dimondback rattlers, Pigmie rattles, Copperheads, Cottonmouths. And two types of hot spiders.. LOL loads of fun
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Another tip that you might not think about offhand, when you flip boards or the like open them up away from you. You're less likely to get bitten that way.

Also, if you can get a good snake hook, even if you only end up using it to flip boards and the like, it can be a great help.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959