Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,837

1 members and 2,836 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Thinking of getting a water monitor from Pro Exotics

Ok, Im looking into getting a Sumatran Water Monitor from Pro Exotics. They say they evaluate them before selling and thats how they come up with the price. Now he said they go from $185-$235 and the highest being very handleable , awesome color and patterns and great lines. Have any of you bought or heard any possitive or negatives about them? I also know about how big they get and I have 3 spare bedrooms that aren't being used so I have plenty of room for him when the time comes. Just trying to get some info on the monitor and breeder. Thanks, Trey

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Thinking of getting a water monitor from Pro Exotics

Some advice, WAIT!!! You already have 1 potential giant if I'm not mistaken. A water monitor is not a good pet man. Just wait a while. Water monitors aren't going extinct anytime in the next 10 years are they? WAIT is my only advice
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i whole heartedly agree. wait until your albig gets full size and see if you can even handle another monitor period.
    -marshall

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr~python
    i whole heartedly agree. wait until your albig gets full size and see if you can even handle another monitor period.
    Thanks for agreeing. I figured I would get slammed for saying to wait...
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

no problem. you're absolutely right. i personally think even the albig was a bad choice. he should have read up and researched what he was getting into before hand. just my humble oppinion though.

now i hope i dont get slammed for THIS. lol.
    -marshall

Thanks

Trey, I don't know anything about your experience with herps. Enlighten me and I'll tell ya about Pro Exotics. I don't like jumping the gun and telling anyone "NO way" unless I know a little about them. They are a huge responsibility though. I'd like to own one, but they are illegal to own in NY...
    I know that Pro Exotics breeds them and they have a decent repor on the net. With monitors they are an excellent choice for breeders to buy from. Them or NERD.
    It's All About Boas
    www.jimisnakes.com
    JimiSnakes Facebook Page
    ~Jimi

Thanks

dude i think you might just want to slow down a bit. you are talking about the second largest lizzard in the world. it will cost you at least 4-7$ a day to feed and requier a cage that costs at least 4000k. i dont know how old you are but in my opinion untill you are moved out and living on your own buying a water is the dumbest thing anyone can do. just a week or two ago you got a balck throat. what happened to it. i would wait till it was full grown before i would even think of buying a water. because a water will get 2Xs the size of a black throat.

a water needs at least a 100 gallon cage withing 9-10 months. if you buy a 100 gallon tank that is about 900. or if you build one it will cost you about 300. i am mainly fearfull that in one years time you will have 2 lizzards in the 4ft range that each require a cage that is 8ft x8ft. and a year after that the water will need a cage that is 15-18 x 8-9 ft. i am dedicating a hole halph of a basement to my water. that will cost about an extra 100 a month in eletricity and 100 a month in feed. thats right at least 200 a month. that is more than some peoples car payments.

rember this is just one man opinion. but i am just verry scared you will get in over your head.

Thanks

It really doesnt matter how much experience you have, well it does they are nota good first, 2nd or 3rd monitor nor would I ever reccommend one even though I do keep one and totaly love him but he is a ton of work and he is still really small due to poor feeding his first year(not from me). The biggest issue with these guys is space, do you have the space to keep a 6-9' lizard along with any other giants you may already have. Oh and dispite what you see for sale on the internet getting rid of a adult water monitor is no easy task.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Water Monitors can be a joy to work with if you are an experienced herpist (is that even a word, or did I juast make a new word up,,, very tired).
    But by no means if you are still living at home and have just bought a black throat (from my understanding), you should really wait and see how you do with your first little guy. I agree that in ayears time you will have two pretty heavy bodied animals on your itinerary if you buy a water now. Wait it out, but by all means while your waiting hop online and look in some books. You can't get all of your herp experience in books but knowledge goes a long.
    Rusty
    PS that other member is right on, It is not easy finding an adult monitor a good home. Believe me, I know.
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

I agree with the others - it's far too early to take on anything like this type of monitor. You only started keeping monitors (from what I can see) in July. Keeping monitors is an expensive hobby and you'll need a huge enclosure to keep it right.