Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,224

1 members and 1,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: How Low?

Thanks

Re: How Low?

MKR reported breeding 3 male BEL's. I think it would be irresponsible to breed one male to 20 females but greed works in mysterious ways. They have set a precedent and others will follow unfortunately. On the other hand how many people bought these snakes thinking they were the only ones breeding their male mojave to 5 females? Some of these morphs were in a bubble to begin with and those bubbles are bursting (much like the tech stocks did). I know this will be unpopular but these snakes were sold as investments so people bought them as investments, well they all bred them as young as they could and to as many females as they could, so of course co-doms are fall in prices. I do think that MKR burst that bubble maybe prematurely and they drop if far lower than they needed to, but like some have said these snakes "behind the scenes" have been selling at those prices. Many have worried that small name breeders would crash the market, but how many small name breeders have the income to buy 3 BEL and breed them to that many adult females and feed and house all the babies (including the other morphs like clowns, lessers etc..) I think it has been proven now that some of the big investors are in for the quick buck and in the end are much more dangerous to the industry than your average Joe who buys one lesser and breeds it to 3 females. IMO

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik
    Nothing.... look at the price of pastels!
    that makes me sick. i would hate to spend 5000.00 or even 1500 on an animal and know that if I waited a year I could have gotten one for 500 or 200.00
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

It's lame, and yeah, you wouldn't buy from him and most of us smart enough to keep the market where it should be, won't. BUT, he still sold out didn't he and that is the problem!
    ...and if what Ed said was right.....a pro breeder bought them all. The person that bought them knew what they are worth. If someone was selling a brand new Chevy for half of its market value, anyone would snatch it up in a heartbeat too....wouldn't they? Some would....some would ask what is wrong with that truck that makes it so cheap???

People sell stuff for 'below market value' in every business. However, most of this stuff takes place behind the scenes between 'dealers'. In ball pythons, these 'dealers' are pro-breeders and resellers. Advertising publically with a price that is generally paid behind the scenes is rude to the other breeder and the resellers. You don't see car dealers posting what they actually paid for the vehicle that they sold you, do you? You don't see computers going for what they cost to make, do you? Why should you see that with ball pythons?

LMA0....MKR has as much sense as a one-legged man that signs up for a butt kicking contest....
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

The money will always be in the new morphs and crosses with simple recess staying much more stable than the dom and co dom.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    ...and if what Ed said was right.....a pro breeder bought them all. The person that bought them knew what they are worth. If someone was selling a brand new Chevy for half of its market value, anyone would snatch it up in a heartbeat too....wouldn't they? Some would....some would ask what is wrong with that truck that makes it so cheap???

People sell stuff for 'below market value' in every business. However, most of this stuff takes place behind the scenes between 'dealers'. In ball pythons, these 'dealers' are pro-breeders and resellers. Advertising publically with a price that is generally paid behind the scenes is rude to the other breeder and the resellers. You don't see car dealers posting what they actually paid for the vehicle that they sold you, do you? You don't see computers going for what they cost to make, do you? Why should you see that with ball pythons?

LMA0....MKR has as much sense as a one-legged man that signs up for a butt kicking contest....
    I don't think this guy hurt the market to bad. If what he said is true then only 7 will get out into the public for that price. And they are all Male. He is not selling his females. Which means it is one sided. on one can breed unless they paid market value for a female.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983

Whoever bought them has the ability to now re-sell them for $1400 each and make a quick buck... difference being it's not at the expense of the overall market and those breeders that make up that market!

And I'll bet $800 shipped that MKR doesn't make it past the first round of the Butt Kicking Championships!
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Thanks

Guys this is a perfect example of how things can work in the market.

MKR drops the price on lessers for 24 hours, sells out, has everyong crying that the sky is falling....now he's sold out....no more lessers for 2500 or mojavies for 800.

Any of you, call up any other large breeder and tell them you want to buy a lesser for 2500 because Joe sold his, so that must be what they are worth. Go ahead, see what those breeders say.

Guess what? The price of lessers just doubled the moment he sold out!
    -Brad

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog
    that makes me sick. i would hate to spend 5000.00 or even 1500 on an animal and know that if I waited a year I could have gotten one for 500 or 200.00
    My feelings exactly!! I understand a certain drop in price with each season, supply & demand, but this is ridiculous and really sad! Whats to say MKR or someone else isn't holding back 10-20-30 Albinos for example and doing the same thing with recessives in 1-2yrs.

July sale....$500 Albinos....$2000 Pieds....take'em while their hot!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

These things are like jewels. You will always have the black market and the pawnshops for them. But to get the true experiance you go to jeweler and get your stuff. To me getting them knowing that the price is totaly off the map cheapens it.

Thanks

It's a highly competative business, for obvious reasons.... you have a huge variety of morphs and what's more is there will be more and more morphs. Ranging from high dollar to affordable morphs for most of us. The turn over is at this point endless.

This market also appeals to a lot of people because these animals don't get huge, are not born tiny and it's hard to find an aggressive ball python. They appeal to all levels of those interested in reptiles. So from a sales point of view, they are a great investment. Not to mention, they look very appealing to the eye seeing the different color morphs.

So when someone comes along and "Dumps" a few certain morphs on a market, it can crash that area of the market if the person doing it is a NAME!

Leaving all those that are working in that area in an almost bankrupt like position. Yes, it is irrisponsible and no, spiders and mojaves are not rare, but they don't deserve to be dumped for less then half their value either!
    Thankyou, great input.
    I was just thinking that animals that were worth XXXXX shouldn't be defaced by being XXXX or XXX. my .02

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast