Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,870

0 members and 2,870 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

She's losing weight again!

I'm sure you folks remember the little leo i rescued some time ago and the vast improvement she had made in her health and appearance. Well in the last week or so she seems to have lost her appetite and lost all her tail weight again. I took her to the vet and she got the all clear, the vet reckoned it could be that she is still very stressed and has yet to adjust to her new surroundings. My temps are fine, she's got plenty of hides including a humid hide and fresh water. What the vet recommended was to try to force feed her, as she has become very lethargic and showing no interest in feeding at all. I think i'm gonna try it but what i need to know is, what do i feed her, how do i go about it and how often,

Many thanks,
    Fergie

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: She's losing weight again!

I have heard that wax worms and superworms have a higher fat/nutritional content that crickets you might check with your vet about that. could be wrong wouldn't be the first time.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

When I have had to force feed geckos such as your leo, thats sick or seems to have an issue, I was told to use meat baby foods, such as chicken or turkey and to "lighten" it up mixing it with water and vitamin and calcium suppliments. I have also had good success with getting a non feeding gecko to take on its own the babyfood mix when left in the cage over night, seems they cant turn it down. The meat babyfoods contain protiens which may be enough to get the gecko feeling better and start eating on thier own.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

i use turkey baby food and mash up mealworms and waxworms into it and add a little of the leopard gecko insect cricket balancer powder supplement that i normally dust the worms and crickets with. the juicy insides of the mealies and waxies thin out the baby food so that it is more liquidy. i have fed it from a small spoon--put a little on the gecko's nose and when they start to lick it off hold up the spoon so that they can lap it up. i also leave some in a very shallow dish overnight and they will usually eat some that way.
    - Emily

Thanks

How dramatic has the drop in weight been?

My trio regularly go through phases where they eat a lot, then go into hiding, then eat, over and over. Their overall weight tends to fluctuate as well, about +/- 5 grams. I noticed this pattern and traded back a couple of emails with the breeder- he said that he observed that same pattern of behavior in some of his collection and that its normal. Maybe they feel the need to burn some of that tail of a little bit now and then...
    -Brad

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

have you tried offering some silkworms? my leos looooove them!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?