Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

1 members and 3,143 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

4 day progress report!!!!!

Ok, As some of you may know I got a 2 foot blackthroat monitor a few days ago on an exchange for a sick savannah. Well the first day once he found his hide that was the end and I didn't see him anymore after that. *Day 2* I feed him and he came out to eat 3 frozen mice and I caught him on his basking spot a few times but the second he saw me he bolted into the hide. *Day 3* I read that I should try to feed him some crickets and I do and boy he sure hit em'. After he had gotten done with his meal I did some daily maintence and he went into his hide but just kinda trotted in there. I although I didn't see him I had the feeling he was watching me from the back of his hide. A few times yesterday I saw him on the basking spot and he didn't make it a point to jump off right away. He kinda just chilled out but kept his eye on me. I have a couch right by his cage so when I saw him on his rock I sat down and didn't pay too much attention to him and watched some SHARK WEEK. Well after about 20 min he went into his hide and kinda layed his head and front feet out. *Day 4* Well today he ate some crickets ( 36 to be exact ) and layed out. Also when I was cleaning his water bowl he acted nervous but again he didn't rin right into his hide he just made his way there. Alot of people i've talked to have said I should go ahead and take him back and start with a baby but I would like to see this thing through and make it work. Do you see him "taming down" or "should" I take him back? I've been talking to him as well and boy what a feeling. Im baby talking a lizard, lol. Is there anything i'm doing wrong or right so far? Need some honest opinions here. Thanks, Trey

P.S. I'll keep everyone a progress report coming

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: 4 day progress report!!!!!

i would keep him if you know you can take care of him. he seems like a calm lizard if all of his care requirements are being met. if a monitor is too cold or sick he will seem like he's "tame" but he just cant fight back like a healthy monitor would. your monitor sounds good though. quick question, whats his basking temp?

as for you doing anything wrong i didnt notice anything but you did say you were messing with his hide? leave his hide alone. thats his sanctuary. if he cant feel secure in his hide he wont feel secure in his cage.
    -marshall

Thanks

Oh, I haven't messed with his hide. If it is written it's a typo. As far as his basking area I don't know. Im waiting to get paid to buy a tempgun but until then I have a 150 watt bulb about 12-16 inches from his rock. I hope this helps and thanks, Trey

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

hmm, you definitely need to know his temps. he could be so "tame" because he doesnt have the correct basking temperature. if he cant warm up and "charge his batteries" under his basking light he will be way less aggressive.
    -marshall