Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,998

3 members and 3,995 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Need help with an enclosure ASAP

Ok, I need some dimensions for my blackthroat's adult enclosure. I want to go ahead and start making some progress on this project. Honestly I have NO idea on how to build something like this and I can't find anyone near me to help. A few things im concerned about is what to get. If I go with plexiglass won't it get all scratched up? Is there a cheap alternative? Also, how will I have an access door for routine cleaning? One more thing is how will I move it if I need to? My door to my bedroom is only like 3 feet and thats pushing it. If someome could shoot me some pics of cages they've done or seen or maybe some blueprints would work it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks again, Trey

Thanks

Re: Need help with an enclosure ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by Trey
    Ok, I need some dimensions for my blackthroat's adult enclosure. I want to go ahead and start making some progress on this project. Honestly I have NO idea on how to build something like this and I can't find anyone near me to help. A few things im concerned about is what to get. If I go with plexiglass won't it get all scratched up? Is there a cheap alternative? Also, how will I have an access door for routine cleaning? One more thing is how will I move it if I need to? My door to my bedroom is only like 3 feet and thats pushing it. If someome could shoot me some pics of cages they've done or seen or maybe some blueprints would work it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks again, Trey
    what you want to do is have a cage that you can take apart easily.. the cage will likely be too heavy too move any significant distance and too large to move through a doorway, so you have to think backwards. i'm actually putting together plans for my tegus cage right now.. i'm using melamine with an acrylic front and a welded wire top. what i'm thinking of doing is using a router to make slots into 3x3's or 4x4's that will be screwed into the base. this way i can have the 3 melamine sides and the acrylic front all drop into these slots and be held in by pins or screws so they can be easily removed for easier cleaning or moving.
    the top will be a hinged wooden frame with welded 'chicken' wire that's sturdy enough to set light fixtures on... another idea i was throwing around was to have track lighting.
    also, i've read one common mistake people make when building cages is that they have have the 'wall' pieces sitting on the outside of the floor of the cage... if you want your cage to be sturdy, they have to rest on the edges of the cage floor.
    this will be the first cage i've built, but i figure i've used my brains to fab more complicated stuff than this so i thought i'd give it a go... any suggestions?
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: Need help with an enclosure ASAP

One thing to make a EXTREMELY sturdy frame is to make a square of 2x4s. Then make a identical one, and then put uprights in at each corner. Then the rest is built onto that. I make the tank stands that way, and have a 75 gallon on one.
    If that isn't clear, I can try to draw it and post it.
    Wolfy