Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,882

0 members and 1,882 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Traded for a blackthroat and have some questions

Ok, As some of you may know I got a baby savannah that was not in good shape at all. After seeing that there was nothing I could do for the poor guy I took him back to the pet store which has an exotic vet. I figure he could do more for him than I could. Well the guy at the store said he would do an even swap for a blackthroat thats about 2 feet long ( give or take ). The reason he did this is because this guy has a nasty attitude. Right now I have him in a big cage that seems to be plenty of room for him. Now keep in mind I just got him today but everytime I come in the room to look at him if he is out he runs right for the hide. I want to do this perfect so I haven't messed with him more than need be but when should I start to handle him? When I do now he starts to wiggle and hiss which I can understand. Also when should I offer him food? And the last question. Do you think he will tame down if I start to handle him more offen?

Thanks

Re: Traded for a blackthroat and have some questions

Blackthroats generally will calm down..Is he WC??

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Black throats get pretty darn big so I would say after a week or so start to hold your hand in the cage until he is calm enough to come up and examine your hand. You don't want to snag at them. They come to you when they are comfortable enough. I would try and feed him. He will likely take some sort of food. You want to put the food on a plate and leave it in there. You won't want him to associate your hands with food. I feed with tongs sometimes but I usually just drop the mice in and let him "find" them on his own. Good luck
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Thanks, Yeah I would bet the he is wild caught. Robyn said that probably wouldn't calm down since I got him so late? You mean you would try to feed him tomorrow? Don't want to feed him to early but also I want to make him comfortable. Thanks again and I need all the imput I can get because I didn't really go up there to get him but for what he made to be such a great deal I couldn't let myself pass it up.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Monitors will usually eat anytime as long as they have a proper basking spot. Wish you luck
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

i take it you have read the care sheet on pro exotics web site. and anyone who says an animal wont be able to calm down is a quiter. hahaha. i have worked with numerious reptiles and there has been no lost cases.

after 2 weeks i would put on a nice pair of leather gloves and just hold him and dont let go till he calms down. black throats are awesome you got a great trade if it proves to be healthy. just make sure there is a hot spot that is about 120 deg. and then night time temps dont drop below about 82.

at 2 feet from head to tail he could easily eat a hole mouse. if he dosent eat a f/t, it will not hurt to drop a live large mouse in there. i feed my savannaha a live every now and then. if for nothing else a little excersize whial he chases him down.

matt fisher

we need pics. and mutipal updates.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fish21
    after 2 weeks i would put on a nice pair of leather gloves and just hold him and dont let go till he calms down.
    that is DEFINITELY a no no. that is not at all how you tame ANY monitor.

you have to gain their trust and let them be the ones to come to you. try offering food from your open palm (using leather gloves ofcourse) and let him sniff your hand and examine it until he feel comfortable around you.

you dont want to force handle him. that doesnt accomplish anything. i have a good link on "taming". here it is. http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1110696,1110696
    -marshall

Thanks

Do you think tomorrow would be to early to try to feed him? I figure for the first 10-14 days i'll just do routine cleaning and let him get used to the everyday sounds and smells of the house and kinda go from there.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i fed my ackie the first day. it cant hurt to see if he'll eat. he's not a ball python and waiting 10-14 before feeding is not good.
    -marshall

Thanks

i have had verry good luck handling monitors like that. my savannaha is calm as could be now i can reach in and just pick him right up not struggle at all. and balckthroats are basically the same as savannahas. there are many different methods. try and see what works for you.

the link marshal gave you is a great read. but keep in mind every species of monitor have different personalites. akies have a verry different temperment than black throats.
    matt fisher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast