Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,725

3 members and 2,722 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Python

Thanks

Tiger Python

My cousin has just become an owner of a tiger python. Its her first snake, and was given to her by a friend. The snake is about a year and a half and aprox. 7 ft long. I was wondering if anyone had any information on the best way to care for the snake.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...72106_1839.jpg

this is a photo i was sent by my cousin of the snake.

Thanks

Re: Tiger Python

Um, that looks like a Reticulated Python to me (maybe of the tiger morph). These snakes get up to HUGE lengths.

Check this out:
    http://ball-pythons.net/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&id=9

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ummmmm...wow. First off, welcome to BP.net! : I think you've found the right place to get the help needed...but it may not be exactly what you want to hear.

Second...is there a reason why your cousin doesn't sign up and get the information first hand?

Third....if I'm not mistaken, that is a reticulated python (tigerstriped morph) and it will get HUGE! It is not a snake for first-time snake owners! Before we can help much, we really need to know what's going on. Does she have any idea what she has? What kind of enclosure does she have set up for it? What plans does she have for it to grow to monumental proportions??
    -- Judy

Thanks

She does not have internet where she is living. She is planning on buying a 100 gallon tank, and is currently taking the snake to a vet because it has been weezing.
    Last edited by CampTweekerKid; 07-28-2006 at 02:53 PM.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CampTweekerKid
    The person who gave it to her didnt know what type of snake it was and it took her about a week to figure it out, when she did she was amazed about how big the snake would be gettting.

Tell her to get ready or get rid. That is not a first time snake.. AT ALL..

She might want to try and find it a good home by puting it up for adoption.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

She does not have internet where she is living. She is planning on buying a 100 gallon tank, and is currently taking the snake to a vet because it has been weezing.
    Check out the video linked in this thread I just started:

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...603#post388603

That will give you a VERY good idea just how big, powerful, and dangerous a retic can be.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Weezing is often a sign of a respitory infection, whoever gave your friend that snake either didn't know it was ill or didn't care. A responsible seller wouldn't have let your friend have that snake as they must know how huge and dangerous they can be.

Thanks

Wow; I love snakes; adore my BPs and my BCI, but I admit I would never want to own one of those big guys. They don't scare me so much as, I think it'd be very demanding.
    Where you should go from here... I think those snakes belong only in the care of an experienced pair or people (never a snake I wuold handle alone!!!)
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Never a snake you should handle alone!

Thanks

the local pet shop where i live has a tiger morph Reticulated Python just like the one your cousin has, there beautifull snakes and I am fasinated by them however I am a long way if ever from being able to care for one. The one at out local pet shop is 5 years old and 22 feet long this snake is huge.

I have been reading alot about reticulated and burmese pythons as i find them intresting and from what i have read they grow Fast.

Not to mention every year there are horible incidents where these large snakes turn on there owners, and even some experinced owners have had close calls, I Just watched a video on animal planet about a retic that attacked his owner and killed him, if not for a maintence person he would have stayed dead. This incident was the onwers fault he entered the encloser alone with a large snake to change a lightbulb when he knew he should have had 3 other peoples help.

If i where you I would sugesst you do some reasearch on these snakes to show your cousin how dangerous they can be and try to convince her that what is best for her and the animal is to find some one with experince that is willing to care for it.

to give you an idea of how powerfull these snakes are that perticuler retic coiled around the man and he was dead with in a minute. These snakes are wonderfull creatures but should be respected, and only some one with experince should attempt to handle these snakes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast