Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,114

0 members and 3,114 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

****emergancy Help****

I saw my savannah come out of his hide this morning and his skin is all wrinkled and not tight to his body. I tried to offer him small crickets and he didn't go for them. I don't want him to die. What is wrong and what can I do before it's to late? PLEASE HELP

Thanks

Re: ****emergancy Help****

Sounds like he's shedding!

Lizards often shed in pieces, as opposed to snakes, who shed in one piece.

Pay attention to each of his toes and the tip of his tail when the skin starts coming off of those areas. Retained skin that doesn't come off can cut off circulation and he can lose toes or areas of the tail. Savs don't have extremely high humidity requirements so it should work itself out on its own, but just pay attention to the sensitive areas I just mentioned.
    -Brad

Thanks

I don't think he's shedding. I think it's a more serious problem. I went to the pet store where I recieved him and they said the got 3 in the shipment and 1 died, the other one is on the brink of death and then there's mine. The only way I can describe what he looks like is his skin is shriveling up and loose from his body. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Take it to a qualified vet. It is an import (99% of savannahs are) and has been through a lot in the past month or more. It most likely has internal parasites, and is probably severely stressed (a bad mix). Without medical attention soon, it will probably die. If you can't get it to a vet soon, try to get some fluids into it as it is most likely very dehydrated. I hope it pulls through for you.

Just a side note. If you're a fan of monitors, savannahs aren't the best choice for a beginner. Think about getting something CB, like an ackie, Varanus acanthuras ssp., they don't get as large, but still have the same varanid appeal. It will set you back a little more, but you get what you pay for.

Let us know what the vet says.

-Evan

Thanks

He sounds dehydrated to me - Savs do need humidity of about 50-60% - do you have him on topsoil? I think Mr Python recommended using topsoil on another post somewhere here or on repticzone - it's good for humidity and should be 1-2 ft deep - so they can burrow in it.

They also appreciate a BIG water bowl - they often like to immerse themselves in it and splash around (means you get a lot of soil scattered over the viv) but, hey, it's fun for the monitor.
    Last edited by Razaiel; 07-28-2006 at 05:06 AM.