Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,643

1 members and 2,642 guests
Lixx,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Got a baby savannah

Ok, I went to the local store and got another savannah today. He is in my 72 gal. aguarium now but I do have a question. He is 7 inches from tip to tip so he is obviously very small. I have him on some cypress mulch I got from lowes so it's the bigger wood chips. Right now he is eating small crickets but the only concern and question I have is how to feed him? With the crickets being so small I don't want to leave the crickets in there that he doesn't go for right away. How can I ensure that he eats all the crickets without them getting lost in the substrate? Also how long should I wait til I offer him food since I got him today? Thanks again, Trey

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Got a baby savannah

I can't really give any advice on monitor keeping....but I can say that there's NO way to keep crix from getting lost in that kind of substrate. Only thing I can think of is to put him in a separate container..much smaller...and without any substrate that the crix can get lost in. Once he's done eating, it'll be obvious if he got them all...and easy to catch and remove the ones he didn't.

EDIT: OR...you could pull the back legs off them and put them in a dish...they wouldn't get lost in the substrate that way. Seems like a lot more trouble, though...not to mention...ICKY! LOL
    -- Judy

Thanks

i would switch to large crickets he could easly eat them. as for leaving them in there and not eating them right away. it is perfectly alright. i have had my savanaha for quite some time now and had no problems with crickets biting. he will eat them when he gets hungery. you can also ust trial and earor. put 5 in there and when he eats them put 5 more keep doing this till he loses interest. this will give you a good idea on how to judge how much to feed him. but at 7 iches i would give him crickets one day then a hopper mouse the next.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

switch to dirt. its better for the savannah because he can burrow and the crickets wont get lost.
    -marshall