Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,786

2 members and 2,784 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ???

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: ???

yea, i would deifinitely check it out if i were you. i dont know if he has tours or what. i know he has some AWESOME monitors though. lacies, mertens, even a perentie!
    -marshall

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr~python
    i beg to differ. there are more monitor keepers/breeders that dont use UVB.

i can give an example, Frank Retes. Frank Retes owns Goanna Ranch in Tuscon Arizona and is one of the most respected and renowned monitor breeders in the country. Frank has raised and bred generations of monitors without the use of UVB bulbs at all. http://forums.kingsnake.com/viewarch...78938&key=2006 (this okay since it peratins to the conversation right?)

UVB has not yet proven to be beneficial to monitors, but it also has not proven detrimental so you can spend the 40+ dollars on lights for a monitor but you wouldnt need too.
    No offence to you Marshall, but I read that WHOLE thread.... and it got off track.. all I could get out of that whole thread, after seeing his pics.. is that he uses excuses as to why his cages are filthy. Before he gives out husbandry info, maybe he should re-evaluate his cleaning practises a bit. Bottom line, in the thread he tried to justify not cleaning his cages and leaving monitor crap under a basking light cause it causes them to "mark" if you clean... monitors in the wild would live in cleaner enviroments than he provides.. rain would wash away the monitor crap, leaving it cleaner than if it was left there to bake under a lamp... he may be "respected and renowned" as you say, but his husbandry leaves alot to be desired...honestly, this is the first time I have ever heard of him..and I lived in Az.I personally, would never leave an animal to lay in its own crap and the crap of others as seen in one of those pics in the thread.. thats just nasty.

You say that "I" could spend the cash for lights but not need to... and you also said that the lights have not proven to be detrimental nor helpful... so how would one know that the expedature of say $40 for lights is not needed if it has yet been proven to be useful or not?
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne
    You say that "I" could spend the cash for lights but not need to... and you also said that the lights have not proven to be detrimental nor helpful... so how would one know that the expedature of say $40 for lights is not needed if it has yet been proven to be useful or not?
    i should have elaborated. it has tried to be proven that you need UVB bulbs but it hasn't made a difference with monitors raised under no UV bulbs and monitors that have.

my ackie has grown 4 inches and has more than tripled in weight since may 23 without the use of any UVB bulbs so that has to mean something. he definitely doesnt have a bone desease.

-marshall

Thanks

hehe- now I am waiting to hear that they dont do dragons any good either since it is said that the lights put out very little UV.. although, I use mega rays for my dragons... and I have seen dragons with no lights..with MBD and such... I personally will stick with lights until it is proven otherwise no matter what the animal..dragon or monitor.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

okay, well i understand. better safe then sorry i guess.
    -marshall

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12