Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,430

1 members and 1,429 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: What is your feelings on Pitbulls?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love them! I wouldn't own any other breed!

18 40.00%
  • I would NEVER own one!

10 22.22%
  • A dog is a dog! I have not real opinion!

17 37.78%
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Thumbs up Just a little info on Pitbulls

Ok, I want everyone to play this "game". It's not as easy as you would think (even for a bully lover like myself)!!

FIND THE PITBULL

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

I just thought I'd post a couple of things I've found about American Pitbull Terriers.

T0 KNOW THE BREED"

Words by Dave Wilson - Founder/Owner - Razors Edge Kennel

What is a "Pit Bull"? Simply, whatever its owner wants it to be! Unfortunately, America's own breed has been misrepresented. Too many people know of the reputation brought about by the press. Without knowing the true history or personality of this lovable breed, it has been unjustly disgraced. Originally, this breed was conceived to fight other dogs for mans entertainment. Even then, a people aggressive dog was not accepted for the match. This would make it impossible for handlers and referees to break dogs apart; as they did so often in a match. As brutal as the history is, it's what gave this breed extreme stability with man. Times have changed and dog fighting fortunately became illegal. Luckily this breed's willingness to please it's owner and it's intelligence able it to become a perfect companion. It is physically capable of performing the tasks of any breed, and it adds an extra bounce with a smile on its face. Pit bulls have done everything from therapy, seeing eye, tracking, K9 protection & show; to a child's best friend. This breed will be you and your family's loving companion and reliable protector. They love people from birth, yet they will let no one harm the ones they love. There has never been a breed that's more eager to please and entertain it's family. Their eagerness to please has also been the cause for the down fall of the "Pit Bull".

A BAD OWNER MAKES A BAD DOG!

Sadly, there are still people who breed unstable dogs to make a more aggressive dog. Worst of all, people who own these dogs, use very inhumane practices to intensify aggression; they deprive the dog of light and nourishment for weeks at a time, shoot them with steroids and drugs and even allow them to attack defenseless animals, just to name a few. These people are obviously not responsible owners or breeders and unfortunately are the ones who get all the attention. Once you have owned an American Pit Bull Terrier or an American Staffordshire Terrier, you will never want another breed! These are by far the happiest and most loyal of all breeds.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

You made me what I am today, courage at its best. You wanted me to know no fear, a cut above the rest.

Not only did I master that, I've thrown in loyalty, too. Look past my eyes into my soul, you know I'd die for you.

I'll watch your kids, I'll watch your house. Your praise will be my crown, ask what you will-I'll do my best. I'll even be your clown.

But some of you don't like me, I'm sure I don't know why. The only thing I'm guilty of is courage, love, and try.

But still they want to see me go, they want my breed to end. Will I see you sitting idly by? You, whom I call friend?

You made me what I am today, you never saw me waiver. I've done my best to keep you safe. Wont you please return the favor.

by 'Cheryl Crabb'

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Just a little info on Pitbulls

wow. that was pretty interesting. i finally just had to go through all of the pictures one by one to find the pitbull.

for the poll my option really isnt there. i like pitbulls and would like to own one someday maybe, but i dont like them so much that i wouldnt own any other dog.
    -marshall

Thanks

ahhhh! Sorry for the grammer error in my poll! I tried to edit it to correct it, but I wasn't able to.

Thanks

Red face Re: Just a little info on Pitbulls

Quote Originally Posted by mr~python
    wow. that was pretty interesting. i finally just had to go through all of the pictures one by one to find the pitbull.

for the poll my option really isnt there. i like pitbulls and would like to own one someday maybe, but i dont like them so much that i wouldnt own any other dog.
    Yeah, I guess I should have put more thought into my poll choices! Thats what I get from rushing though things. I have to learn to "take my time."LOL

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

lol, thats alright.
    -marshall

Thanks

Whee my first guess was the right one! I am a dog groomer though.. we see a lot of pits. I LOVE pit bulls. They are the sweetest dogs, and a properly cared for one loves people.. just usually not other dogs!

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

I have always admired the pit bull. Them and the bull terriers are among my favorites. It's a shame people have destroyed their reputation as a sound trustworthy dog. Raised by the right people they can still be that loyal companion. Bad breeding has caused some damage as far as stability of the breed, yet there are many wonderful ones out there. A friend of mine had one that would herd geese and sheep. The most trustworthy animal around.

Because they are a powerful and easily bored dog I always suggest involving your dog in a lot of activities and investing in at least basic obedience.
    This is a suggestion I make for several breeds,Many powerful breed such as great danes, mastiffs,etc. lose their homes because the owner doesn't understand how to PROPERLY discipline a dog. An informed owner is more likely to keep the animal for life.
    I didn't vote in your poll because I love pitbulls but CHOOSE a different breed, not because I dislike them. They are as a breed in itself outstanding companions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby
    Whee my first guess was the right one! I am a dog groomer though.. we see a lot of pits. I LOVE pit bulls. They are the sweetest dogs, and a properly cared for one loves people.. just usually not other dogs!
    I disagree Shelby.We own a staff/pit mix and a red nosed pit and they get along very well with the little dog next door(he is the size of a poodle).When we go to the vet they both want to play with the other dogs or the female(princess) wants to love them.Now both dogs are very protective of the house and of us which is normal for any dog.I got banned from a site last year because people were trying to say your pits should be nice to everyone no matter what.I told them they were very ignorant.I asked them this,so my dogs have to be nice to a burgler or someone trying to hurt my kid just because they are pits?? I have seen pits that are loved and properly cared for and ones that are mistreated.Its not the breed that needs to be put to sleep its the STUPID PIT MISTREATERS!!!!
    Joe Haggard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

It took me three guesses. I did recognise a lot of those breeds though, from my experience at the pet store.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    I disagree Shelby.We own a staff/pit mix and a red nosed pit and they get along very well with the little dog next door(he is the size of a poodle).When we go to the vet they both want to play with the other dogs or the female(princess) wants to love them.Now both dogs are very protective of the house and of us which is normal for any dog.I got banned from a site last year because people were trying to say your pits should be nice to everyone no matter what.I told them they were very ignorant.I asked them this,so my dogs have to be nice to a burgler or someone trying to hurt my kid just because they are pits?? I have seen pits that are loved and properly cared for and ones that are mistreated.Its not the breed that needs to be put to sleep its the STUPID PIT MISTREATERS!!!!
    What exactly do you disagree with? Yes, pits are protective.. and very good guardians if they are properly socialized. I didn't mean they are always friendly with everyone all the time, they can learn who is a threatening person (such as a burglar) and who is a friend.

For many years pits were bred to have a heightened prey drive and aggression towards other dogs to make them better pit fighters. So.. many pits today aren't crazy about other dogs.. not always, but we're always very careful at the groom shop to keep pits and dogs like them away from other dogs.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast