Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

1 members and 3,146 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Boa?

Thanks

Which Boa?

Im looking to get a boa in the near future. I want something a little bigger then my male BP. My question is which boa should I go with. I want something that is about 6 ft full length. Can you guys help me out with finding a boa for me?
    1.0 Ball Python (Chomps)

Thanks

Re: Which Boa?

There are a few different choices you have in the parameters you want. I would definitely recommend a male if you want it to stay in the 6 to 7 feet long range. Colombian Boas are great and have a pretty good temperment. Some other good choices include Hogg Island Boas, Dumeril's Boas, Argentine Boas, and even Brazilian Rainbow Boas.

Of the different kinds of Boas I mentioned, Brazilian Rainbow Boas are going to be a little higher maintenance. They require a little bit higher humidity levels and closer monitoring of temperature/humidity. They are also a little nippier as babies but can calm down nicely with time and patience.

All the boas I mentioned above have very different looks to them so I would recommend that you look at a bunch of photos of them and if you can find somewhere local where you can actually see them in person and handle them to see which appeals to you the most, that would be ideal.

I hope this helps. Whatever you decide to get, I'm sure you'll love it since boas really are great (they are my favorite )

Thanks,
    Celia

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

whatabout hog island boas? i would look into them.

i woudnt get a male of a species hoping it would stay smaller than females. be prepared to handle the snakes size as large as it can possibly get no matter what gender.
    -marshall

Thanks

Thanks alot guys, im really liking the hog island boa because it is beautiful and the size averages 4-6 feet. One other question, how calm/nice are these boas?
    1.0 Ball Python (Chomps)

Thanks

hogs after a little tlc will become just as calm as any other bci. as babies they tend to be a little on the nippy side but that soon fades. i know you dont want anything that is to big. but i would go with a male bci columbian. 5-6 ft tops if you feed right. all of mine are around that size. and are dog tame. also for what a nice hog goes for you could buy a nice hypo columbain. just my .02
    matt fisher

Thanks

My experience is if you want a six foot snake, no matter what you do, you will end up with a monster. If you wanted a monster sized snake, you will end up with a six footer. Boas sizes are so unpredictable that you really shouldn't worry about it. Go with the locale that you like and just feed it and take care of it right. You won't be disappointed in any way. A six foot boa isn't much more of a chore than a eight foot boa. I my opinion, the varients are comparable. From 6-8 foot there really isn't too much more of a hassle anywhere to even be said. 8-10, 10-12, the same thing. It's when you get into the Burms and retics sizes that you need to worry, but then you should know that before hand, rightio? My eight foot boas are not any more of a hassle or problem than my six foot boas in any way. The BCI is a heavy snake regardless, and they know it and are usually much more gentle once they reach that size anyways. I would trust my large Boas with anyone over the smaller ones any day of the week. They know they are strong and large and are calmer and less apt to squeeze or strike when they are full size. Just my .02cents though. Good luck!
    It's All About Boas
    www.jimisnakes.com
    JimiSnakes Facebook Page
    ~Jimi

Thanks

I agree, I don't think there's much of a difference between a 6 or 8 foot boa... both can be kept in the same size enclosure witht he same supplies, and I don't think that kind of percentage difference will be noticeable when handling either. I would be more focused on making sure to socialize it. A naughty 6-footer is a lot harder to deal with than a sweet 10-footer.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Male hoggs if fed well enough will still reach the full 6' length over time. I would also recomend a mainland honduran boa, a nic boa, or most any Island Locality like Cay or Crawls.
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

I would also like to add that an Argentine boa would NOT be a good boa in that range. An 8' 35-40 lb argie isn't uncommon from what I have heard.
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    I would also like to add that an Argentine boa would NOT be a good boa in that range. An 8' 35-40 lb argie isn't uncommon from what I have heard.
    i will agree on that one, though very pretty and i would own them again, caging permited, i do not recomend them for a first boa. they like to play with their keepers by hissing and giving the apperance of biting. the femal i had was about 10 feet and weighed alot!
    4.3 Normal Ball Pythons - Raphael, Spot, Oscar, Strykr, Honey (aka A.O.L.), Jasmine, Precious
    1.0 Grazi Line Pastel Ball Python - Chance
    1.0 possible het carmel albino - Cpt. (One Eyed) Jack (genitcally missing right eye, very ify het status)
    0.12 Normal ball pythons in transaction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast