Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,576

1 members and 1,575 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Exclamation The Asian Giant Hornet

dose any one know about this hornet. i found photos of them online. I have one making a nest out side my house .. it seems very docile(sp?) and not inclined to sting at all . It landed on me and tryed to drink from my glass that was in my hand.
    Aprox. size 2 inches + activity unknown, temperment extreamly docile. that is all I know that and its name. nothing else on it i can find besides the fact that it wipes out whole hives of honey bees and other hornets..

it is something of my nightmares due to the fact that hornets put me in to anlpholatic shock if they sting me!! if any one knows anything about this beautiful yet nightmareishley huge insect please let me know!

thank you
    Jessica K

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: The Asian Giant Hornet

there was actually a segment on them on corwins quest yesterday. how did you get some at your house? anyways, the segment said that their venom was really potent and will put you in bed for 3 days so if your allergic to hornets i would DEFINITELY be careful around them. i hope i helped you.
    -marshall

Thanks

Thanks It also could have been the European Giant Hornet I found ALOT of stuff on them Some people even keep the euros as pets!!! due to there mild temperment. bot both lok so simular I cant tell the diffeaence now .... I hope it is the lesser of the two evils!

can i post the link to the page where I found the photos?
    Jessica K

Thanks

You can post a link to the photos themselves, unless there is some content that wouldn't be considered family friendly.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jessie_k_pythons
    dose any one know about this hornet. i found photos of them online. I have one making a nest out side my house .. it seems very docile(sp?) and not inclined to sting at all . It landed on me and tryed to drink from my glass that was in my hand.
    Aprox. size 2 inches + activity unknown, temperment extreamly docile. that is all I know that and its name. nothing else on it i can find besides the fact that it wipes out whole hives of honey bees and other hornets..

it is something of my nightmares due to the fact that hornets put me in to anlpholatic shock if they sting me!! if any one knows anything about this beautiful yet nightmareishley huge insect please let me know!

thank you
    a genocidal wasp, sounds very docile heh heh
    bryan

Thanks

I found out what it is finaly!! and i have no need to fear theis "Gentle Giants" of the wasp and hornet world. I found out that what i saw was a female European Hornet, he was trying to take a drink and then maybe go for a hunt after. The females get up to 35cm long and is the only true hornet in the US, but oddly rare.

I booked marked the site.. It is a great read.
    euro hornet 1
    euro hornet 2
    if you want to see the size of this thing .. it is just a tad but bigger than the Asian Hornet in the photos shown.
    google search photos

you have to check out the first photos website.. every page that I went to about this hornet says in bold to go the the website of the first photo. I guess i'm lucky to have seen her at rest on my hand. most of the sites say there a rare find... they are here but hardly seen.
    Last edited by jessie_k_pythons; 07-18-2006 at 11:33 PM.
    Jessica K