Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

1 members and 3,302 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

A Little Yorkie Needs Help

Sorry to make such a sad, sappy, post, but I figured I'd share this story.

Indiana Petite Paws received a call to rescue a Yorkshire Terrier (who they've named Faith), that was brought into a Kentucky Vet Clinic after being hit by a car. One of the members drove down and picked up this poor girl and had her evaluated by a couple of local Vets. The details of her injuries can be seen at:
    http://www.petitepaws.org/spotlightfaith.htm

Indiana Petite Paws is a 501(c)3 organization that helps a large number of small dogs each year, and fund much of their work through E-bay auctions of craft items (most dog related), but the current estimate of $4,000 to rebuild Faith is pretty far outside their current financial abilities.

The page http://www.petitepaws.org/spotlightfaith.htm has a better description of her injuries and has a link to donate via PayPal, the main site http://www.petitepaws.org has links to the general donation areas.

If you could help generate some traffic and support to help this little girl out I would be eternally in your debt.

If you need any other information, my wife (the rescue transport coordinator for the group) can hunt down anything you need.
    --
    Mike
    mike@payneland.com
    7 Snakes, 3 Cats, 5 Hermits, 2 Possums, 1 Leo and One Wife!

Thanks

Re: A Little Yorkie Needs Help

wIth the extent of her injuries, money is not the factor here. As cold blooded as it sounds she would suffer less by being put down. The type of injuries you describe are extremely painful. IMO keeping her alive seems selfish.
    Not trying to offend anyone, but I have done rescue all my life and a line needs to be drawn somewhere. How much suffering is too much?

Thanks

Blue...

Valid point - that was exactly my question when I first heard about Faith. The current thinking is that she's not suffering to the point that putting her down is the right answer. Both of the Vets that have looked at her are amazing that she's still WALKING given the extent of her injuries. The rehab person from the group that has her says that she's alert, wants to play, and is very affectionate.

So, at this point, our 2 vets and rehabber both think she'll have a long normal life if we can get her injuries healed. If at any point it appears we're not working in Faith's best interest we'll have the Vet do what needs to be done.

Thanks for the feedback..
    --
    Mike
    mike@payneland.com

Thanks

Wow Mike... I read the story at the link you provided... I am very saddened by this and the possible thoughtlessness of the "MIA owners".... it breaks my heart.

I cant Thank those who help animals in need enough.... rescue is a hard, challenging and often times heart breaking thing to do. That being said, I was a member of a dog and cat rescue for many many years, and I was also a board member. I did personally go out on many many rescues close to the Mexico border, and pulled many animals out of bad situations. And lost or was forced to euthanize many. It was always heart breaking and I cried for each animal and most importantly the loss of a precious life and was there for thier last moments trying to comfort them.. it did not matter that they were not my pet... I was there and thats all that mattered.

I do have to say, I too think it would be in this poor dogs best interest to euthanize her... money has no bearing on my thoughts in this..only emotion. I too have had to ask "how much suffering is enough?".. it is this question that was kept in mind for all animals we had to euthanize.... we once had a larger breed come in with injuries like this... we asked for donations.. and got them.. however, in the end because of all the complications that developed from the surgeries, she was euthanized... we did not feel it fair to make her suffer through this and the vet said her outlook was not good to begin with b/c of the possible complications.

I know this is not what you want to hear Mike, and I really think it is cool that you care... so I hope you have no hard feelings toward me because of the way I feel...
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

No hard feelings at all, like I said, I'm on the fence myself. So long as the 2 vets think that she's not suffering unnecessarily, I'll keep hawking trying to get her bills paid.

I've had to put down 1 dog and 3 cats that were the absolute loves of my life, and I'm sure the board of the rescue group will listen to the vets and do what they recommend.
    --
    Mike
    mike@payneland.com

Thanks

An Update On Faith

Just an update on this little Yorkie. -- This was just updated to the website.

7/19/06 p.m.

Surgery is done and a success they were able to put the toggle in the right hip the capsule was useable and they did the FHO (femoral head osteoectomy) surgery on the left side and repaired the ligament in her left knee...he expects a full and complete recovery!! The pelvis will heal itself with time. She must remain still for 10 days with no movement after that we can take short walks on the leash and start water therapy...the Vet said he would elaborate more on that when it was time. She will be having several more follow up visits.

The earliest she will be released is tomorrow afternoon. Keep checking back for updates. THANK YOU to all of those who have responded so far with donations. Faith thanks you also.
    --
    Mike
    mike@payneland.com