Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,936

1 members and 2,935 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Is there ever too much room for a sav?

Ok, I have a savannah monitor and I he is about 10 in. long in a 72 curved glass aquarium and for now it seems big enough but I don't want to stunt his growth by being in something too small. I do intend on building a really nice cage since he is the only reptile I have ( other than my grandmother j/k ) and the only one I intend on having for a while. If I were to go ahead and build his adult cage would it be ok to go ahead and throw him in there or would he be overwhelmed with something that big and him being so small? The reason I ask is because I heard somewhere that there is NEVER enough room for a monitor of any type but I don't know if they meant juvi, sub adult or adult. Just thought I would ask before I made my final decision. Thanks Trey

Thanks

Re: Is there ever too much room for a sav?

You won't stunt his growth hun, that is a myth. They will grow to their potential regardless of what they are kept in. Feed him correctly(Insects with a small rodent every 2 weeks or so) and you will have a healthy, non-obese, growing Savannah.

For a baby, try to keep the enclosure smaller and simplistic. If he/she is eating, shedding and growing, then the enclosure shouldn't be too big. But if they are hiding alot and not eating much, you may want to provide a smaller enclosure. Babies probably feel pretty vulnerable.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Ok, thanks. Right now he does come out and walk around as soon as I turn his lights on but the majority of his day consists of him trying to climb the glass until I feed him then it's like someone turns on a switch. He goes from active to bummin' in on his heat source and sleeping in his cave.

Thanks

So what size enclosure do you keep grandma in

My sav also has his different days - sometimes he's out a lot and active and other days he just seems to hide and sleep a lot. I'm still learning about them. Mine's a year now.
    ~Sue

Thanks

Grandma is kept in a fairly nice cage!!!!