Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,306

2 members and 3,304 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: tadpoles/frogs

Thanks

Smile tadpoles/frogs

Me and my friends just found a bunch of tadpoles (some have legs with a tail and some just have legs and no tail) all about 1/2-1 cm. I collected about 10 and was wondering what i should feed them? Right now they are in a plastic container tilted so it is half land and half water and im going to put them in a 10 gal tank with eco-earth substrate and a shallow water dish for them to swim/sit in.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: tadpoles/frogs

Once in captivity, it is actually illegal (in my state anyway) to re-release them into the wild due to the risk of introducing foreign environmental contaminants. And it's illegal to begin with, to collect them, unless you have a fishing license.
    We have raised tads in the past few years; had some eggs that were in a drying-up puddle that would have died anyway. They go through a transformation (of course!) from eating plant life, to insects; for the ones that are still tadpoley, you can feed them crumpled fish flake food; I actually like to try and get some of the plants and water they were living in, to kind of wean them off of that and get them onto the flake food.
    Hopefully for you they are not bullfrogs! One alone is cramped even in a large 125g tank. We raised ome from a tadpole and ended up letting her go at a local nature preserve's display pond.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Re: tadpoles/frogs

Alot of tads are cannibals. I would reccomend placing each one into its own solo cup with water and peice of plant as a water stabilizer and a hideout. You can feed them a specialized algae mixture, or commercial tadpole bites.

1.6 BP 1.1 het albino BP 1.0 Creamsicle Corn 1.0 Viper Gecko 1.1 Crested Gecko 0.1 Leopard Gecko 0.0.3 D. leucs 0.0.2 D. tincs Cobalt 0.0.4 Baby Eastern Box Turtles