Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,871

1 members and 2,870 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Question Brazilian rainbow boa...

My little BRB girl should finally be getting shipped to me this week. If not, then definitely next week. I've been waiting to set up her enclosure until I got word that she was on her way, so I want to get it done today or tomorrow.

I have a few different care sheets so I understand the temperature, humidity, other requirements, etc. I decided I want to use a Sterilite tub as her enclosure because it will help keep the humidity up where she needs it. Since they are semi-arboreal, should I get one that is relatively tall and put a few dowels in there for her to climb on? What would make the best water container for her to soak in that she can't tip over...I was thinking a clean empty milk jug with a hole cut in it about mid-way. Eventually when she gets bigger I'll be getting a custom enclosure for her, but she's only about 18 inches long right now so she doesn't need something huge just yet. Any tips or ideas?
    Animals are my passion and my life.

Never, ever underestimate the vital importance of strict and proper quarantine. There is no such thing as being too careful. One mistake can cost a world of damage, and regret that lasts a lifetime.

Thanks

Re: Brazilian rainbow boa...

Quote Originally Posted by JenHarrison
    My little BRB girl should finally be getting shipped to me this week. If not, then definitely next week. I've been waiting to set up her enclosure until I got word that she was on her way, so I want to get it done today or tomorrow.

I have a few different care sheets so I understand the temperature, humidity, other requirements, etc. I decided I want to use a Sterilite tub as her enclosure because it will help keep the humidity up where she needs it. Since they are semi-arboreal, should I get one that is relatively tall and put a few dowels in there for her to climb on? What would make the best water container for her to soak in that she can't tip over...I was thinking a clean empty milk jug with a hole cut in it about mid-way. Eventually when she gets bigger I'll be getting a custom enclosure for her, but she's only about 18 inches long right now so she doesn't need something huge just yet. Any tips or ideas?
    The two biggest things with BRBs are temperature and humidity. Make sure that your warm side temp doesnt get above 90. It can be fatal. Humidity should be above 75% at all times. Cypress Mulch is the best substrate for BRBs in my opinion. You can get some dowels, but she may or may not use it. My BRB sometimes soaks in his water which is a big, heavy plastic dog dish. Of course he is almost 6 ft long so you will want something smaller. Good luck with her, they are awesome snakes!

Thanks

Re: Brazilian rainbow boa...

SHE'S ON HER WAY!!!! Amber called me and let me know she shipped out my little BRB girl tonight! So excited!

A little background: My friend Amber lives in Cleveland and is studying to be a veterinarian. Her school lab breeds snakes and sells the babies to help fund the lab and school research. They had a litter of Brazilian rainbow boas 2 years ago and one was born with only one eye and a few kinks in her spine. They wouldn't sell her because she had deformities, even though she eats well and is thriving...so she'd been a lab pet. Last fall the lab director, Dr. Underwood, decided the little girl needed a real adoptive home and shouldn't be in a lab her whole life. Amber contacted me and I said I'd take her, but then she found out some guy at the lab had already claimed her. Well, by this past May, he hadn't taken her yet and had quit school...so Amber contacted me again to see if I still wanted her. Of course I said yes! She'd been waiting to work out the shipping details and finally got to ship her today!
    Animals are my passion and my life.

Never, ever underestimate the vital importance of strict and proper quarantine. There is no such thing as being too careful. One mistake can cost a world of damage, and regret that lasts a lifetime.