Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,009

0 members and 3,009 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: light cycle

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

light cycle

i know there's a few people here that have monitors here and i was wondering; what kind of light cycle do you use? do you agree with using a 24/7 light cycle? why, or why not?

i use a 24/7 light cycle for my ackie. i started using it because Frank Retes told me he's been using it for years with excellent results, and there's many other reputable breeders that use it. i've used it for about a month and a half now (since i got my monitor) and he's grown about 3 1/2-4 inches and more then doubled his weight. when i got him he weighed 8 grams and a little over to weeks ago when i weighed him he was 16 grams.
    -marshall

Thanks

Re: light cycle

Yes, I've heard this discussed before on a monitor forum - I don't know really what the answer is - it doesn't sound natural - but I do sometimes leave my monitor lights on and it certainly hasn't harmed him. What is it meant to be good for?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

it gives the monitor to do what it when it wants. eat, bask, etc. all day or night in its cage it should have a dark tight place for i to squeeze into and sleep anyway so turning off the lights shouldn't matter.

monitors know that the monitors know that the light isnt the sun. the light bulb is just a tool that the monitor uses to bask and warm up.

Frank told me about when he was camping in Mexico a while back and there were spiny lizards basking around his campfire. they knew it wasnt the sun but they were using it to bask.

thats what i understand and have been told about using a 24/7 light cycle.
    -marshall

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

It depends on the weather. I use a minimum of 12 hours a day no matter what. When I can get my sav out side for some exercise 12 hours is plenty but when I can't I leave it on for 18-24 hours.
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Yes, I remember now that one of the people discussing this before said it gives shyer monitors a chance to come out and do their thing when the house is quiet.

I'd love to see wild monitors I remember crocdoc's post where he showed pics of himself meeting with a wild lace monitor - awesome.

I left Sav's lights on till I went to bed last night - but he went to sleep anyway.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

yeah, ive noticed my ackie started to prefer coming out at night. now he starting to come out earlier though, where there's still daylight left.
    -marshall

Thanks

When I had my sav... I was always told to give them a day and night that it is good for thier keeping thier moods in check and something to the effect they need a day and night. I used 12on 12 off cycle. I myself would be leary about having a light on 24/7 regardless of what is said based on the fact that in the wild they would not have light 24/7... I would think his rest would not be as restful as it could be if he has a night time.

As far as your monitors weight and length gain, I would not say it is b/c of the light cycle you are currently using...
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr~python
    Frank told me about when he was camping in Mexico a while back and there were spiny lizards basking around his campfire. they knew it wasnt the sun but they were using it to bask.

thats what i understand and have been told about using a 24/7 light cycle.
    Yes - I read that same post (yesterday after posting) - it all sounds very plausible when you hear that (i never realized who FR was until yesterday LOL!) Yesterday evening instead of switching his lights off at the normal time I switched them to red ones - and my husband (who stays up till early hours of morning) switched them off then. He stayed buried in all that time and didn't come out to investigate - but maybe he will when he gets used to the idea. He doesn't have a problem with people milling round him all the time as the house is empty from 8.30 till about 2.00 when I get home.

There's so much information and misinformation about monitors out there it seems to be one long uphill struggle to find out what is best for them. Forums vary in what they advise re handling (NOT "taming"). TBH I often feel large monitors shouldn't be so easily available (I got mine because my 19 yr old decided she had no time or money!!) I want to give him what's best for him so haven't been handling him so much. I want him to come to trust me as the human he cohabits with (as advised by crocdoc and others) and not just a large predator that keeps hauling him out his viv and stressing him out.

Anyway, enough rambling by me.

~Sue