Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,854

1 members and 2,853 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Newbie with a few Savannah questions.....

Ok first let me introduce myself. My names Trey ( obviously ) and im in TN. I just got a savannah monitor and i've been surfing through a few forums getting a feel for a new home and I think I found it in you guys. Ok question (1) I read somewhere you can train savannah to their names. How do you do this and is that where it stops or can you go on to other tricks? (2) I've heard mixed opinions about feeding and how often you should do this. I read that until about 8 months of age you should feed them as much as they can eat once a day. Then on another forum I read only 3 times a week. I want a healthy monitor but not a fatty. How often and how much do you guys feed juvies? (3) Is there anything as far as food goes that I should stay away from? I've heard you can feed them goldfish, dogfood, catfood etc. Now thus far i've only fed "Dino" large crickets and a few pinkies. Should I try a few other items or am I on the right track? Now for the last question. (4) How should I tame him down? He doesn't put up a fight not does he hiss like i've heard some do and also he doesn't bite but I would like to work with him but do it right and not scare him to death. How often should I take him out and for what length of time should I keep him out? Sorry I lied I do have one more question. (5) I've seen a few pics of savannahs with other pets as dogs and cats. How do you train them not to be scared of other animals in the house outside of their cage? Thanks alot, Trey

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Newbie with a few Savannah questions.....

Hey Trey! I don't know anything about Savs, but I did want to say WELCOME! : I hope you find everything you need here!
    -- Judy

Thanks

lol, well thank you

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Savs are great. I have a male now and I think the only thing he recognizes is food. When he was young he ate dusted crickets every day. Now that hes getting older and is 2' he gets bugs of some sort 1-2 times a week and mice or rats every 2-3 days. He usually eats 4-5 weaned mice every feeding as well as 2 dozen crickets or roaches about every day. I would feed him as many bugs as he will eat until he no longer shows much intrest in them then start working in mice. Stay away from and kind of feeder fish. They are full of parasites and no sav will eat them in the wild. I offer hard boiled eggs with the shells removed every week or 2 and the occasional little plate of canned tuna(I know its not natural but its also not full of parasites and sickness) 1 time a month. They really like chicks and quail when they are a big enough size. I wish you luck and feel free to ask any more questions!
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

I feed mine (1 year) mainly locusts - he'll get through 100-150 per week. He gets rodents twice a week - I give him between 2-4 rodents depending on their size.

He isn't "tame" in the way a puppy dog is tame - that's for beardies. I prefer to keep mine as a monitor. I no longer grab him out and "force" him to cuddle. I do put my hand inside his viv regularly though to clean up and if his head is poking out somewhere I'll scritch it. In active mood he'll stand up on his hind legs to come out then I'll either open the door and just let him run around and sometimes I pick him up and hold him for a minute. If we're on the stairs together in a limited space he will sometimes come and sit on me and climb up me.
    Last edited by Razaiel; 07-10-2006 at 05:10 AM.

Thanks

Thanks for all your input. Im think about building him a curtom cage for my bedroom but I don't know the dimensions he would need as an adult. If anyone knows or could point me in the direction of someone who knows it also would be greatly appriciated. Thanks, Trey

Thanks

A sav needs a cage minimum of 6ft length..I would go an extra 2feet to give him some room to move. A lot of people use livestock feeding troughs..They are less expensive. At about $120 for a 6ft L X 2.5ft w x3fth. Then you can get plexi or make a screen lid to keep your sav in. They love to climb and will escape any chance they get. Monitors are intelligent enough they will find the weak spot in the caging, and return to it as a means of escape.

My understanding of monitors, savs in general, is that they do the majority of their growing the first year of life. During this time it is virtually impossible to power feed a sav. I feed my baby sav a fuzzy mouse every other day.. (about 2-3times a week) If it will eat crickets or other roaches, thats great, and you can feed them these and offer a rodent once a week. The sooner its on whole prey the better, as they get their nutrients from the whole prey.

There are several theories of thought in regards to UV, some people insist you need it, others insist it isnt necessary if the sav is eating whole prey. I dont provide UV lighting, (just visits outside) The choice is up to you. One thing savs definitely require is a heat source.

If you provide a basking spot of 120 for at least a weekl this will kill the parasites in the sav. Worms cant handle the body heat, savs do fine with high heat. The normal basking temps should be around 110F with heat in the 80s-90s and cool night temps in the upper 70s. One easy way to provide such a wide range are sturdy stacks of wood shelves, rocks, or branches allowing the monitor to thermoregulate.

Provide plenty of hides as well, and as someone mentioned, Monitors (and other reptiles) dont TAME, they tolerate. The recommended way to get a monitor used to you, is TALK to it when you are cleaning the cage, changing the water, whatever.. Sit near the cage so he can see you and watch you while you study, eat, read, or surf the internet. I dont handle mine much, but I do pet it on the head gently, (he allows me to do that) I hold him for short periods over his cage, in case he decides to bail.

For more info on savs and other monitors...Visit www.varanus.net

Thanks

I am in the process of building (with help!) an 8Lx3Wx4H. We'll be using marine ply (more moisture resistant because of the 1 1/2 - 2 ft of topsoil needed in it).

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll probably end up doing something rather large also like 8' by 4' or something like that. I didn't feed my sav like I should when I first got him so I think his growth may be stunted a bit. He's like 2 years old and only 2'. An 8' by 4' cage is ok for even a large sav(4' long)
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well