Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,871

2 members and 2,869 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Are they pinktoes?

I just changed their substrate (it was pretty smelly) and have mostly stopped shaking (I am still terrified of spiders). Apologies for the blurry pics, my camera doesn't do close-ups real good. Are they pinktoe tarantulas?

This is Flash, he/she/it is plump, active (omgitmoved!) and kind of irate about being herded into a jar:

This is Dancer (what else do you name something with that many legs?) who is not doing so hot. His/her/its abdomen is really tiny, and it may have molted recently. It was moving really slowly and has declined to leave the jar:

There are cat people, and there are dog people. There are snake people, rat people, horse people, lizard people...and then there are people like me. Stupid people.

0.0.1 bp 0.0.1 redfin shark 1.1 doubletail bettas lots.many.several guppies 0.2 naked rats
    0.1 fully dressed rat, 2.3 cats 1.0 ACDx, 1.0 Tbred
    0.0.0 $

Thanks

Re: Are they pinktoes?

The second one looks like a pinktoe but the first from what I can make out doesn't seem to be.

Almost looks like there's a nice rosey glow in that second shot - or is that just the jar?

Any pics

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

I dunno, here's one that's not through the glass:

Here's a better one of Dancer, showing off the pink toe shoes:
    There are cat people, and there are dog people. There are snake people, rat people, horse people, lizard people...and then there are people like me. Stupid people.

0.0.1 bp 0.0.1 redfin shark 1.1 doubletail bettas lots.many.several guppies 0.2 naked rats
    0.0.0 $

Thanks

A chilean rose (grammastola rosea) is the first one.. the second is indeed a pinktoe. Pretty spiders.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Cool! Thanks for identifying them! I'll go read up on the species. Do any of these species tend to be good handling spiders? My brother is dying to visit with them.

0.0.0 $

Thanks

I have handled G. Rosea before.. they are one of the most docile, I think pinktoes are too, but not sure.

There is always risk in handling tarantulas.. both to you (their hairs cause skin irritation and itching, also their bites, while not deadly can be nasty) and to the spider. Tarantulas that are dropped or fall even a short distance can easily rupture their exoskeleton and die.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

My brother and I have been discussing this. The spider cages are currently on the bathroom counter, and any and all spider handling will be done with the tank and person sitting on the floor and the door closed securely. I know handling isn't in the best interest of the spider, so we'll keep it to a minimum.

I'm getting way too attached for these things.

0.0.0 $

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yep, I agree, the first one is a Grammostola rosea, or Chiliean rosehair, the second is an Avicularia avicularia or Guyana pinktoe.

They are both very lovely. Congrats!! I have both and adore them.