Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,211

1 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Exclamation Baby GTP has substrate in her mouth

So weve had a baby green tree python for a few days and shes been doing great shes really active and explores. When my boyfriend was heading to work this morning he noticed that she had her mouth open a bit. I said I'd check it out while he was gone. So yep shes opening her mouth alright because she has substrate in it (we use the coconut fiber eco-earth its called) so I'm kinda torn because I really dont want to stress her out by helping her get it out but i also know shes really not happy having it in keeps opening her mouth and whatnot.....help

Thanks

Re: Baby GTP has substrate in her mouth

If it's actually stuck, you're probably going to need to get it out. It might be be easier with two people, but someone will need to open the mouth by pulling on the skin under the jaw and gently opening it up. Then use a pair of tweezers to pull out the substrate. She may be able to get it down ber herself, but if you don't feel comfortable getting it out, I'd recommend taking her to a vet. Also, keep in mind that baby GTPs have extremely fragile spines, so be very careful when you handle her especially on the lower third of her body.

Good luck!

-Lawrence

Thanks

Yeah thats why I'm so worried, because they are so fragile. What I really dont want is for her to get too stressed and die. The reason we chose that substrate is because its not harmful to the snake and is easily digested if it is eaten. would it be ok to let her deal with it? there are no big pieces its basicly like dirt.

Thanks

If it is protruding from the mouth a little, you may be able to grab it with a pair of tweezers and see if she can un-hitch herself from it. Which would be one way to avoid handling her. And YOU do really want to avoid handling!

Juvie GTP's are best kept on paper towel until they get away from the tiny stage.
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarie9
    Yeah thats why I'm so worried, because they are so fragile. What I really dont want is for her to get too stressed and die. The reason we chose that substrate is because its not harmful to the snake and is easily digested if it is eaten. would it be ok to let her deal with it? there are no big pieces its basicly like dirt.
    If it's just like dirt, it shouldn't be too bad to let her try to deal with it on her own. Is it something that you can wash off with a spray bottle?

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarie9 View Post

i was going to say that exactly, i bought a bag for my newly acquired (and very neglected ) 3ft ball python and he loves it. the best part about it in MY opinion is that it's basically like dirt, so there are no worries about a 3ft snake having any issues... i don't know about the whole ordeal with babies, but the spray bottle idea didn't sound so bad....

the neglected snake i have mowed down 2 mice when i fed him yesterday, and teh second one had a piece of shavings on it... i freaked and immediately planned to switch bedding.

Eco-Earth is pretty snake friendly

Thanks

I would suggest that you keep a Green Tree on news paper until they get older, for exactly that reason plus it is much easier to keep the enclosure much more sanitary. Just my 2 cents.

Chuck