Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,450

3 members and 3,447 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Hatchling size related to adult size...

Does the length and weight of a hatchling snake have any bearing at all on the size of the snake as an adult? Assuming both are of the same sex and have the same feeding schedule and food size. I would very much like to get an albino burm someday, but I would prefer one that will have a tendency to stay on the smaller end of the spectrum. Obviously I would get a male, but I'm curious as to whether getting one of the smaller males of the litter would make any difference. Before anyone jumps on me about it, I am fully aware of their potential size and will not get one until I feel comfortable (probably another year or two) that I could handle it even if it managed to get to 16'-17', but all the same I'd prefer one that ended up around 10'-12'.

Thanks

Re: Hatchling size related to adult size...

Having delt with several burms in the past I will say I don't see a whole lot of relation in hatchling size and adult size. But I have noticed something in the species that I feel like holds some truth to their size. Just like when picking out a puppy you will 99% of the time look at the feet of the puppy usally large feet large dog, small feet small dog. With burms you will notice small heads and large heads in every clutch. Just like with the puppys and feet I have noticed that head size in baby burms generally tend to give a little insight as to the size of the snake. Not saying that a small headed burm will stay small but usally only slightly smaller than their clutch mates.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. That is one I have never heard before. Like I said, I will not get a burm until I feel that I can comfortably care for a potential 16' snake, but at the same time if there are any indicators like the head size that may give some insight into the potential size of that animal I will definitely take that into consideration. I would never hold back food or anything like that to minimize growth.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach
    Having delt with several burms in the past I will say I don't see a whole lot of relation in hatchling size and adult size. But I have noticed something in the species that I feel like holds some truth to their size. Just like when picking out a puppy you will 99% of the time look at the feet of the puppy usally large feet large dog, small feet small dog. With burms you will notice small heads and large heads in every clutch. Just like with the puppys and feet I have noticed that head size in baby burms generally tend to give a little insight as to the size of the snake. Not saying that a small headed burm will stay small but usally only slightly smaller than their clutch mates.
    Never heard of this. Maybe when I start breeding I can try some sort of experiment sort of thing. Sounds like good reasoning IMO
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

I have heard all kind of theories concerning predicting an snakes size as an adult when it is a hatchling.....scale counts, egg weights, parent size, etc. etc....None that I know of have ever been PROVEN to be 100% accurate. Sure they might be right here and there, but it seems like alot is just people linking random similarities to size.

IMHO....As a responsible reptile owner, you should never purchase an animal that you can not handle, house, or feed at its MAXIMUM potential size....no matter how slim the chance that it will ever reach that potential.

Ever look into Dwarf burms....or albino ball pythons
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983

IMHO....As a responsible reptile owner, you should never purchase an animal that you can not handle, house, or feed at its MAXIMUM potential size....no matter how slim the chance that it will ever reach that potential.

Ever look into Dwarf burms....or albino ball pythons
    I thought I covered this pretty well. I have no intention of getting a burm in the immediate future and I will make sure that I am capable of taking care of him at any size before purchasing the animal. I currently have 9 ball pythons (should be listed in my sig) and hopefully I will have a few albino balls soon.

I'm not going to run out an purchase a tiny burm baby in hopes that he will only get to 10' or so, I am simply asking if there are any telltale signs to indicate a likelyhood that the snake will remain on the small side.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AK4900PA
    I'm not going to run out an purchase a tiny burm baby in hopes that he will only get to 10' or so, I am simply asking if there are any telltale signs to indicate a likelyhood that the snake will remain on the small side.
    Thats understandable. Everyone is just making sure you don't do anything you might regret
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

I thought I covered this pretty well. I have no intention of getting a burm in the immediate future and I will make sure that I am capable of taking care of him at any size before purchasing the animal. I currently have 9 ball pythons (should be listed in my sig) and hopefully I will have a few albino balls soon.

I apologize if you took that comment personally. I was just stated my GENERAL opinion on the topic....nothing directly toward you
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    I apologize if you took that comment personally. I was just stated my GENERAL opinion on the topic....nothing directly toward you
    No problem, I just wanted to reiterate. As much as I love the albino burms, I can't guaruntee that I will ever own one. I won't purchase an animal unless I know for a fact that I can provide for it as long as it lives and right now I'm still a bit uneasy so I'll give it a year or two and see.

Thanks

No problem, I just wanted to reiterate. As much as I love the albino burms, I can't guaruntee that I will ever own one. I won't purchase an animal unless I know for a fact that I can provide for it as long as it lives and right now I'm still a bit uneasy so I'll give it a year or two and see.
    I hear ya...Rick really likes high yellow albino burms (albino BPs don't do it for him) so I'd love to get him one, but neither of us is prepared or have the room for their adult size.

I'll be watching the breeders messing with dwarfs over the next years and hope we see advances with dwarfs + albinoism. =) Beautiful dwarf albino burms would be a huge boon, I would guess, for the pet snake market. =)
    Last edited by cassandra; 07-02-2006 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)