Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

2 members and 3,189 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Argie B&W Tegu

Thanks

Argie B&W Tegu

I've been collecting data on these. I don't have any room---let alone money---for one right at the moment, but I've been interested in getting one for awhile.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with these guys, if you know anyone that has one, and also if you know any breeders? I've been trying to look for people that specifically breed them, but they seem to be few and far between.

Thanks!

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Argie B&W Tegu

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02
    I've been collecting data on these. I don't have any room---let alone money---for one right at the moment, but I've been interested in getting one for awhile.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with these guys, if you know anyone that has one, and also if you know any breeders? I've been trying to look for people that specifically breed them, but they seem to be few and far between.

Thanks!
    Only breeder I know of is Burt and Agama International. He's the only one I know of. Hope this helps
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Yeah, I was looking at his site and reading his info. Good stuff! If I can swing it, I'll try to purchase from him... he's got the best name in Tegus, I believe---or, at least, one of the best names.

Thanks

Tegus are wonderful lizards. If worked with, they can become quite tame, and they are extremely intelligent critters. They seem to enjoy human interaction once they are accustomed to it, and I have read of people with tegus that like to be petted and scratched.

There are three species considered to be of pet quality.. of course the argentine B&W, the blue tegu (which comes in an albino morph as well) and the red tegu.

The B&W is larger than the blue tegu, and requires both meat and fruit in it's diet.
    The red tegu is the largest and requires the most fruit in it's diet.. especially as it gets older. They can grow to 4' and 20lbs, males being much larger.
    The blue tegu is the smallest of the three and requires no fruit in it's diet - only meat and feeder insects.

It is generally held that tegus benefit from UVA/UVB lighting and without it can have health problems. They also love to dig and require a deep cage as well as one with a lot of ground area.

I hope this info helps a bit.

These guys breed blue and B&W tegus. http://www.bluetegu.com/

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

i have one... have had him for all of two weeks, ha. i had done a ton of research, then i kind of talked myself out of getting one. then i went to a reptile show and a guy had a ton of the reds and a couple b&w's. so i got one and i love him... he's so tame it's ridiculous to think how he's going to be (possibly) a 4.25' 25 lbs monster someday.
    as far as room goes, a lot of their size depends on hibernation. if you hibernate them tehy grow fairly slowly, but if you don't, you could have one go from 10" to 3' in a year!

thetegu.com is a great resource - not trying to say bp.net isn't sweet, but there's so much good info over there.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

I think this explains all you need to know about tegus. (its a rather large video if you have a slow connection)

http://www.thetegu.com/public/tegu-attention.mpg

(Edit: If you right click on the link and "Save Target As..." you can see the download progress.)

Rick
    Richard Sisco
    SiscoReptiles.com