Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,857

2 members and 2,855 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What filter do you use?

Hi everyone. I was just wondering what filter you people use for your turtle tanks. Right now I have 2 small painted tutles in a 20 gal with a Zoo-Med 318 filter that says it is made for up to 30 gals. But the water still turns green and nasty smelling afetr about a week. So I need a better filtern submersible or not, it doesnt matter, but I need it to be under $50 for the filter and any accecories(sp?) that it needs like extra filters or tubing and where I could find it. I would prefer to not order it online because I dont want to have to pay extra for shipping. Thanks for all your help.
    Cody
    ---------------------
    0.1.0 BP Normal (Princess)
    0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake (Allison) For Sale
    Local Pickup Only
    PM Me For More Info

Thanks

Re: What filter do you use?

It wouldn't be worth switching your current filter for another cheap filter costing less than $50. Honestly, the best thing to use for turtles are the canister-type filters that they make for fish tanks, which start around $80-$100 each. The filter media is completely washable, they last a long time, and remove essentially all free-floating waste material from the water.

I did just find the HOT Magnum compact filter at petsmart.com
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2030059&Ne=2
    You will only get this price buying online from them. I recently bought an Aquaclear 70 from the website for 32.99, while it was $84.99 at my local petsmart. Makes no sense.
    -Brad

Thanks

Thanks. Now, you do use that Aquaclear for a turtle tank right? I want to make sure it will work for a turtle tank since the water is not all the way to the top. If you don't, does it look like it will work in a turtle tank? Thanks for all your help!
    Cody
    ---------------------
    Local Pickup Only
    PM Me For More Info

Thanks

Oh no I'm using it on a 37 gal fish tank...i was just using that as an example to illustrate the price diff between the store and the website. I paid shipping and STILL saved $35 because of the retail price in the store.

That $50 for the canister filter is a really good deal, and can be used in conjunction with your existing filter. Turtles put out a lot of crap so multiple filtration is often necessary.
    -Brad

Thanks

Pall Malls. sorry couldn't resist. (ducks as chairs are shot)
    It's All About Boas
    www.jimisnakes.com
    JimiSnakes Facebook Page
    ~Jimi

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

for my red ear sliders i use an Aqua Clear 300. it is really good. my water is always clear. i just started using a biological waste reducer called Turtle Clean which seems to be working.

i have been using Aqua Clear filters for my turtles for over 10 years and they work great for me. they need to be cleaned like once every few months if even that.
    try it out. theyre cheap too!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

My sister has two red-ear sliders that she's had for several years now, raised them up from quarter-sized babies. Other than an occassional feeder-fish for treats in their main tank, she removes them into a much smaller container to feed them. (greens and turtle pellets, I believe) Doing so has dramatically cut down on the "pollution" in her water and the turtles don't seem to mind at all.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigballs
    for my red ear sliders i use an Aqua Clear 300. it is really good. my water is always clear. i just started using a biological waste reducer called Turtle Clean which seems to be working.

i have been using Aqua Clear filters for my turtles for over 10 years and they work great for me. they need to be cleaned like once every few months if even that.
    try it out. theyre cheap too!
    How do you have it set up? Do you have a pic I could see? That filter looks like one where water has to be all the way to the top, but maybe not as you got it to work. Pics would be greatly appreciated if you have them.
    Cody
    ---------------------
    Local Pickup Only
    PM Me For More Info

Thanks

Most of the aquaclear filters dishcharge the filtered water kind of "waterfall" style that can get noisy if your turtle tank is only halfway filled. Also, many aquarium filters like the aquaclear use filter medium to harbor beneficial bacteria for the bio-filter, which isn't particularly important with a turtle setup.

I am still going to emphasize the use of the the canister style filters for turtle tanks. The filter inside of them looks similar to a HEPA filter you'd find in a Vacuum cleaner for your house, and filters out any solid floating particles in the water, including the free-floating algae thats making your water green.

In addition, most of the canister filters allow you to use tubing that fits on the intake and output of the filter, which can then be ran down below the surface of the water, so there's no "waterfall" sounds coming from the tank.
    -Brad

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ok keep in mind that i just snapped these shots really quick right now just to show you one of my setups. and also keep in mind that this particular set up(and filter) is overdue for a good cleaning...

this girl is has been living like this since she was the size of a dollar. shes 11 now and has never complained...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast