Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,903

0 members and 2,903 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Snakes eating during shed?

Well Emily the BP (aka Little Miss Piggy) has always ate for me every week, shed or no - so I decided to feed Noodle my hognose although she's all dull and has blue eyes. She had a regurge a couple of weeks ago I think it was due to either her rodent was slightly (but only slightly) larger than normal OR was due to her imminent shed - so after the regurge I left her a couple of weeks and tried her on a pinky to get things going again. She ate that very happily last week (she had no blue eyes then). This week she has her blue eyes and very dull skin but I thought I'd offer her another pinky. She seemed interested in it but unable to open her mouth far enough to get it round the pinky so gave up in the end.

So I wonder does the shedding process make their skin around their mouths so tight that they can't open their mouths wide enough? I'm going to wait until she's shed now before offering her anything else.

Thanks

Re: Snakes eating during shed?

I feed my bps during shed and they do just fine with it but when i was first getting into snakes my mom bought me an albino hatchling cornsnake that was mid-shed and the pet store told her to make sure i feed him on tuesday sooooo tuesday rolls around and i feed him and he eats it and it sat in what i thought was his belly but was actually where his shed had stopped. i assumed he was fine and went to sleep. The next morning i woke up and had a dead snake so i guess it kinda differs from snake to snake and how far along in the shed they are

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

i don't think shed affects them - but each snake IS different. my bloodred corn seems to regurge whenever he's about to go blue and eats... odd. but that seems (i think) to be part of the problem at this point. so for now on... no feeding when he's blue
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Registered User SnakesvsRodents's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess it all depends on the snake. I have one that no matter its conditon it will eat anything. Thats a good thing though i wouldn't want stuborn eater.
    Bernie