Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,842

0 members and 2,842 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Unexpected Snow corn, need some help!

Hello all,
    Long story short I had a snow corn(very pretty boy!) dropped into my lap, I was originaly planning a ball python as my first snake, but this guy was too tempting to pass up. Unfortunatly, while I have been ready mentaly for a snake for awhile, I have not been prepared assesory wise.
    The little guy is in a 10 gallon aqurium (he's 32 inches long) and 2 years old. He came with a zoomed heat pad and temp control device and thats it. I'm making a run down to the store as soon as I get a chance(he was picked up/found at 11 when everything was closed)because I NEED a thermometer. Considering his size and age will he, A)grow any more B)does he need a larger encloser. (I'm getting him a proper thermostat and flexwatt when I find out what kind of encloser he will best approve of)

Another question, he just arrived at my home and the first thing I did was provide him with water and a hide box, he ignored the hide box(he never had one before it looks like) and began trying to get out(or so it looked). Does this have anything to do with the tempature or is he trying to hide himself there(small crevice between top and tank edge)? Because I can't think of another explanation(other then the fantasy one where he WANTS to slither around on me...) Any help on my new baby would be appriciated, I really want the best for him and I very worried about making a mistake, I want him to be around for a long while. Again, thank you for any help!
    PS: I already read the caresheet(everyone I could find) and I have a book on the way.

Sugar

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Unexpected Snow corn, need some help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Piper
    Hello all,
    Long story short I had a snow corn(very pretty boy!) dropped into my lap, I was originaly planning a ball python as my first snake, but this guy was too tempting to pass up. Unfortunatly, while I have been ready mentaly for a snake for awhile, I have not been prepared assesory wise.
    The little guy is in a 10 gallon aqurium (he's 32 inches long) and 2 years old. He came with a zoomed heat pad and temp control device and thats it. I'm making a run down to the store as soon as I get a chance(he was picked up/found at 11 when everything was closed)because I NEED a thermometer. Considering his size and age will he, A)grow any more B)does he need a larger encloser. (I'm getting him a proper thermostat and flexwatt when I find out what kind of encloser he will best approve of)

Another question, he just arrived at my home and the first thing I did was provide him with water and a hide box, he ignored the hide box(he never had one before it looks like) and began trying to get out(or so it looked). Does this have anything to do with the tempature or is he trying to hide himself there(small crevice between top and tank edge)? Because I can't think of another explanation(other then the fantasy one where he WANTS to slither around on me...) Any help on my new baby would be appriciated, I really want the best for him and I very worried about making a mistake, I want him to be around for a long while. Again, thank you for any help!
    PS: I already read the caresheet(everyone I could find) and I have a book on the way.

Sugar
    OK, A Question for you first.What do you mean by picked up/found? Did you find this snake loose or just bought it? It might be hungry as the reason its cruising around.Or it is stresst out and looking for a escape route.Make sure your lid is 110% secure as colubrids are escape artist.Once you setup its heat source leave it alone for a week to settle in.If you can get your hands on a 20 gallon long tank he can live in it forever.I am sure he will settle down soon.Keep us posted and if you have any other questions ask away.O congrats on your new snake!!!
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Re: Unexpected Snow corn, need some help!

Congrats.. corns are wonderful snakes. Adult size averages from 3.5' - 5'.

A 20 gallon tank would be a good size, yes. These guys do enjoy climbing from time to time, so if you like you can provide a branch or two. It's quite entertaining to watch.

Temps do not need to be in the same range as they do for a BP. Get your temps to around 88 on the warm side, and 80 on the cool. Don't let the temps fall below 75 degrees.

Make sure the hide spots are nice and small for him/her. Sometimes it helps to 'show' them where they are. Just pick them up and poke their head in the entryway.. usually the rest of the snake will follow.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Well this morning the first thing I did was peak in at him(I don't sleep in the room he is in) and I saw he has buried himself under his substrate(which I'm pretty sure is not your not supposed to use...) to hide(gave me a heart attak seeing the tank looking empty like that). I'll need to disturb the poor thing again later to put in a thermometer and change the bedding(as in toss the stuff). Can anyone give me a quick list of "this is what you NEED to have in there/Need to make sure is set a specific way", I really don't want to forget something.
    I'm a bit confused by his feeding, he was previously fed 4 fuzzy mice(live) every 2-3 weeks. I want to convert him to f/t and feed him one prey item per feeding. I have no idea HOW big any prey item acually is though, should I just buy one of each size frozen until one looks sized right? then buy it in bulk online?

One last thing, the snake will not be living with me until august/september due to house renovations which would be just to stressful for him(constantly being moved from room to room, noises everywhere and not being constantly monitored) My boyfriend's family will be taking him in until then, they owned reptiles in the past but never a snake, they are very good at following care instructions and are very attentive to animal's needs(once they are clear on them). I'l be comming over twice a week to check on everything and I speak with him daily so I'm not to stressed about that. What would the best way to transport him be?

>joepythons: An aquentence of mine(...not the best animal caretaker of the bunch...) purchased the snake for his (currently)5 year old daughter 2 years ago.They have since got a dog and she was no longer interested by the snake so I tossed some money at him and made away with the cutie (with his permission of course). I put a 25 pound metal safe on top that fits nicely and he is very secure in there...unless he is secretly Super Snake that is.

>Shelby; Thanks for the tip on how to show him the hide, once I remove the current bedding(it has not been well kept...) I'll try that, he is so fast though I get a bit nervous handeling him still, but I'm sure I'll get over that quickly, I am completly in love with this guy!

PS:I'm curretly looking for a 20 gallon so I can get him nice and comfy as quickly as possible

Thank you all for the help thus far!
    Sugar

Thanks

You need:
    2 good hides
    water dish (something easy to clean and hard to tip over)
    heat mat with controller (the thing you have on there now sounds like a rheostat.. I'd look into a thermostat if I were you)
    digital thermometer/hygrometer

Feed one prey item that is as big around as your snake's girth is.

Transporting him shouldn't be hard.. just put him in a container (like a tupperware) and secure the lid. Put some newspaper or paper towels in there with him. If it's a short car ride I wouldn't worry about a heat pack. Just keep him with you if you leave the car.

April

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

4 live fuzzies every week....Well I would go like said 1 mouse/rat the same girth as the snake at its widest part. Most corns should accept f/t pretty easily. If you need to you may want to brain the mouse for the first few feedings just incase he doens't see a dead mouse as food. Good luck!
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

The thing with corns though is that they stay skinny and long. Right now I feed my anery corn 2 pink mice because she is not round enough for fuzzies. With corns you usually have to feed 2-3 prey items, but I think if it is at 4 it could definantly be moved up a couple sizes.
    Cody
    ---------------------
    0.1.0 BP Normal (Princess)
    0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake (Allison) For Sale
    Local Pickup Only
    PM Me For More Info

Thanks

I've always fed my colubrids a single prey item weekly. They grow and thrive. It doesn't hurt to offer multiple food items, but it certainly isn't necessary.

April

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

How do you know how many to feed them? Keep putting feeders in with them till they refuse?

Thanks

When you are buying that 20 get what is called a 20 long not a regular 20 gallon. That way you get more floor space and a bit less height but it works better for a snake. Also get a good metal framed mesh lid and ask for the metal clips. They come two to a package and are super strong. If you need I can take a picture of ours that have kept a sneaky, determined milksnake in her tank for the last year. Not sure about cornsnakes but our milksnake loves her aspen bedding and does burrow around but also uses her hides (two cream cheese containers flipped over and an entrance cut in....nothing fancy but it works and she loves em!).
    ~~Joanna~~