Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,496

2 members and 3,494 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

NEED HELP ASAP! baby ball regurgitating meal

I have a baby ball shes maye a foot long that we have been watching for a friend. She has been an eater. But her last meal she regurgitate some of the mouse, second meal she regurgitated the whole mouse after only a couple of hours. We thought it was due to improper light and heat so we moved her in to our place and got heat and the proper light and cleaned her entire cage! She ate the other day today she came out of her hide box and is regurgitating the mouse again writhing to get it up! Were stumpted and I'm really scared for her. She hasnt been displaying any other problems. So were out of ideas please help!

Thanks

Re: NEED HELP ASAP! baby ball regurgitating meal

How big is the mouse you're feeding? Did you handle her or cause any other stress soon after she fed?

Generally when a snake regurges once, you let it have at least two weeks of rest before feeding again. After the first regurge, a second is more likely. You have to let their digestive tract rest and heal.. their stomach acid is very strong and it is rough on them to regurgitate anything.

What are the temperatures in the cage?

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Either her temps are too low or she has internal parasites. After 3 regurges, I'd stop trying to feed her and make an appointment with a vet as soon as possible.

In the mean time, soak her nightly in water no deeper than the middle of her body for at least an hour to try and keep her hydrated.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Its about 93 in there (previously about 85) we boosted the temp in hopes of that helping. Unfortunatly I've never heard that before, I wish I had known. I've only heard of regurgitating as a symptom of something else never a what to do about regurgitation itself. What should we do?

Thanks

Make sure your temps are perfect, and let the snake be for two or three weeks. They can go for a good while without food. If she does it again, take her to a herp vet!
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarie9
    Its about 93 in there (previously about 85)
    Ok, so what's the temp on the cool side?

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

In the 80's on the cool side. We've got the temps. I just wish I could make her more comfortable. The mouse was a mouse fuzzy very small. To answer a previous question.

Thanks

Well it sounds like the temps are good so I would just make an appt with a reptile specialized vet.
    Cody
    ---------------------
    0.1.0 BP Normal (Princess)
    0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake (Allison) For Sale
    Local Pickup Only
    PM Me For More Info

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarie9
    We've got the temps.
    Incorrect temps are one of the top causes of regurges in snakes ... it is critical that they are correct and measured with an acurate digital thermometer, and not a plastic strip or dial. I know you think that you've got the temps correct, but you've also got a ball python that can't even hold down a tiny meal. If you don't already have a cheap digital indoor/outdoor thermometer from Target/Walmart/Lowes/Home Depot I would get one ASAP and check those temps again ... they should be 82-84 on one side, 92-94 on the other 24 hours a day ... You should also have a period of light and a period of darkness to eliminate stress on the snake ... and finally, your snake should have a small tight hide on each side of the enclosure so that it can feel safe and stress free.

If you are 100% positive that you are doing all those things and you still had 3 regurges, I urge you again to take the animal to a vet.

-adam

Thanks

I REALLY have to thank everyone for replying so quickly in this scary situation. We appreciate all the help more then I can say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast