Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

1 members and 3,268 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Humidifier

Thanks

Humidifier

Quickie question:

I've got TropicAire humidifiers on Freddie's, Kishnah's, and Oreo's homes. Judging by the appearance, it's time to clean (?) them. Do I need to? I'm thinking of using the chlorhexidine like I clean everything else, but I'm thinking that won't be potent enough for the plastic sponge piece. I know if I use bleach I'll have to rinse thoroughly and then let it aerate.

Are they sources of harmful bacteria? How often do they need to be cleaned?

SEARCH provides different % humidity threads, but nothing really pertaining to cleaning HUMIDIFIERS.

TIA for the help.

RuLyn
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Re: Humidifier

Yeah, the humidifiers can be a source of bacteria. I would try and disinfect anything I could get to, with the chlorhex, including the tubing. Do you still have the manual that comes with it?
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

On top of regular cleanings, I use a bacteriostat every time I fill up the reservoir. I'm not sure what kind of humidifier a tropicaire is, but a bacteriostat should work as long as it's not a heat-vapor type.

-Evan

Thanks

Evan,

Is there some specific product or agent that you use as the bacteriostat???? All I've done in the past is to scrub and clean when it looks like it's getting slimy, and I have a feeling that even tho' the vet didn't agree, the humidifier MAY have contributed to Snoopy's illness. I don't know the best way to clean the sponge in the middle. Hmmmmmmm

I used Repti-Safe treated water in them but only clean about 1/6 wks. Since you've said you clean every fill, but it takes mine about 2+ months to need more water.

< Love your site. Looking forward to your terms and how to contact you for babies. >

Thanks for the help guys.

RuLyn
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweety314
    Evan,

Is there some specific product or agent that you use as the bacteriostat???? All I've done in the past is to scrub and clean when it looks like it's getting slimy, and I have a feeling that even tho' the vet didn't agree, the humidifier MAY have contributed to Snoopy's illness. I don't know the best way to clean the sponge in the middle. Hmmmmmmm

I used Repti-Safe treated water in them but only clean about 1/6 wks. Since you've said you clean every fill, but it takes mine about 2+ months to need more water.

< Love your site. Looking forward to your terms and how to contact you for babies. >

Thanks for the help guys.

RuLyn
    Sorry about the tardy response. You can buy a bacteriostat at home depot lowes etc. It looks something like this. It should be by the humidifiers, and a 5 dollar bottle should last you quite a while. I use a console humidifier and humidify the whole room. To keep my humidity at 60-65%, I refill the 4 gallon reservoir every 4-5 days (dang desert climate ), so I go through a fair amount of bacteriostat. I"m still not sure what kind of humidifier you have, but I would say if the "sponge in the middle" is tough to reach, just bleach the entire thing for 10-15 min, and rinse very well with hot water. That'll kill the nasties. Anyway, hope this helps.

-Evan

Thanks

thanks for the information c. the bacteriostat product. It's not that the sponge is "hard to reach" but rather w/the CELLS of it the surface would be difficult to get clean. But I haven't tried the b-stat. I'll make it a point to clean 'em tomorrow after I've fed everybody, and see how things go.

RuLyn

P.S. I'd take the "darn desert" any day! That's what I grew up in...instead hear it's incessant rain and mildew all over EVERYTHING or moss, moss and MORE moss!

*grumble, grumble*
    Sweety314