Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,933

1 members and 1,932 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

nooB, 1st post: 29 gallon too big??

Hello, my name is Dani. I just brought home my first bp last week. He (she?) is a hatchling named Trigger. He's about 9"-11" long (I haven't been able to measure him yet) and he weighs 70 grams.

Right now he is in a 55gallon duplex tank (it has a permentant divider, and my 24" corn snake calls the other half home.)

I was thinking about moving Trigger into my empty 29 gallon tall tank, but I'm worried this may be too much space for a hatchling.

He hides all day, which I expected from a nocturnal animal. He doesn't seem stressed however, as soon as a handle him he uncoils and he is very at ease cruising around me. He even has a favorite spot (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32...l/100_1984.jpg) haha.

Would you suggest leaving him in the duplex 55g tank or should a try him out in the 29g? If both of these enclosures are too big, I should have a 10g set-up opening in a couple weeks; right now I'm fostering a hatchling corn snake who wouldn't eat for 3 months. He should be going back to his owners in a couple weeks, so I'll have an empty 10g.

Also, are pythons climbers? Should I build up with some branches so he has somewhere to climb?

Thanks

Re: nooB, 1st post: 29 gallon too big??

you should definetaly quaranteen in a seperate tank in a different room if possible for the first month. the 29 is a bit big for a hatchling,but if thats all ya got, try to give a couple hides and he might be ok, please do seperate though, my second bp had no visable mites on him when i purchased, but within 48 hrs, he was covered, thank god i had him in another room!

you've already had him a week, so you would have noticed any bugs buy now, good luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pythonweb
    you should definetaly quaranteen in a seperate tank in a different room if possible for the first month. the 29 is a bit big for a hatchling,but if thats all ya got, try to give a couple hides and he might be ok, please do seperate though, my second bp had no visable mites on him when i purchased, but within 48 hrs, he was covered, thank god i had him in another room!

you've already had him a week, so you would have noticed any bugs buy now, good luck!
    Usually I do quarentine my new herps, but I know the breeder fairly well and I've met the parents and handled all the hatchlings. If I didn't know exactly where this little guy came from, and I was unable to visit the breeding and housing area, I would definently quarentine him.

If you still suggest quarentining him, he would have to go into the 29g tank for at least 2 weeks until my 10g set-up is freed. So hopefully he doesn't mine the space. I can easily litter the whole enclosure with many hides, so he has plenty of cover in all temperature ranges.

Thanks

cool, i doubt he will,how about a pic?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pythonweb
    cool, i doubt he will,how about a pic?
    Of the enclosure, or Trigger? lol. Theres a pic of Trigger in the link of my opening post.

Thanks

I think the 29g will be fine for him too. I'd keep him in there for good. I've noticed that bouncing snakes around into different enclosures tends to stress them out a little.
    It's All About Boas
    www.jimisnakes.com
    JimiSnakes Facebook Page
    ~Jimi