Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

1 members and 3,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Hognose Regurge?

I'm pretty sure it is though I've never had a regurge from either of my snakes before. I fed her at about 4pm on Wednesday (I thought the rodent looked very slightly bigger than usual though it was supposed to be a medium mouse - but no more than a couple of millimetres bigger) but it went down normally.

This morning when I got up to go to work there was this smelly thing in the corner of her viv and it was lighter than her normal poo and closer investigation (wonderful for first thing in the morning) revealed it was still definitely mouse shape and though it was just a bit more squishy than a fresh mouse would be it even had some whiskers attached and the feet. The stomach had started to disintegrate I think because there was blood there. So I'm guessing it was regurge (although I would have thought a regurge would have happened sooner - this must have happened some 36 hours after she ate it). It was no more smellier than normal snake poo.

I feed her once a week (should I feed her only once a fornight?) she has only ever once before refused a weekly feed.

(I did take a pic but it came out bad)

Thanks

Re: Hognose Regurge?

When Wrigley regurged, it had been between 36-40 hours, so now I give him another extra day+ before handling. Bad mouse? Too cold?

Sorry to hear it's happened.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

I'm not sure what it was - I'm putting it down to the fact that she hard a slightly larger than normal meal plus I feed her every week. Next feed I'll wait for the 10 days to 2 weeks then give her a slightly smaller than normal one and from there only feed her once every 10 days. I've given her some probiotic in her water and she's being quite active and OK - so it all seems alright *fingers crossed*

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

my bloodred corn (Valentino) had another regurge today. after you check the temps, don't handle your snake at all... leave it alone for 10 days minimum (i wait two weeks) and then feed the smallest pink you can find... IF they keep it down (yes what you described is a regurge by the way) then in another week you feed another really tiny pink. another week a larger pink. then slowly increase the size of the prey item.

this is valentino's second regurge and i think i gave him a little too large of a prey item this week. without the regurges i'm sure he could have handled it, but now that he has a sensitive tummy i have to be more careful (bad snake mom )

so remember... take it s l o w really really slow! cause once they get into a cycle of regurge (from what i've read and heard) it's really bad for their health.

i hope your snake will be okay and not regurge again.

(by the way... it took valentino awhile to accept food again after his regurge... so don't be surprised if it takes 3 or 4 weeks)
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Thank you very much! I shall indeed follow your advice and wait 2 weeks. She's hiding under her substrate at the moment but I peek in at her occasionally and she'll lift her head up to look at me. But I'm not going to take her out (hard as it is).

I hope Valentino eats well for you too!