Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,739

2 members and 2,737 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Where to place Acu-Rite? Velcro cons?

Hey all! For those who helped me with my last post, thanks again!

Okay, I think Ash is good. Temps are good in there, humidity is good. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow morning. Yay!

When I bought Ash, I picked him because he was particularly feisty. In fact, I think I've only seen him ball up once the whole time I've had him, and that was after the regurg (poor guy!). Otherwise, he's pretty, well, bold--I think particularly so for a BP, but I don't really have a frame of reference. He's so bold that I can't, for the life of me, find a way to keep my Acu-Rite thermometer standing without his tipping it over!

Yesterday I got home late, so he had the whole day to himself. He certainly took advantage of it. The little sucker redecorated: he pushed one of his half-coconut hides over about an inch and toppled the Acu-Rite flat onto its back. When I got into the apartment, he was laying on top of it, as if to say, "Mine!"

I said, "Ash, get off the thermometer. I need to fix that."

He just stared at me.

Gah!

So, hey! Does anyone have tips on how to stabilize an Acu-Rite? I leaned it up against the back wall last night (used to have it propped up on its pull-out stand thingy toward the front of the tank), but still, I woke up this morning and found he had tipped it forward. Feisty snake, indeed.

This has been brought up before in other threads. I know people have recommended velcro; Joanna, I think you suggested that to me. Are there any particular cons about using velcro? Does it sort of limit how you may be able to move the Acu-Rite later on, if you choose to do so? My biggest issue is just having anything stuck to the wall of the tank, but maybe I need to get over that since soon enough I'll be having to buy a larger tank for this guy.

This actually isn't a big deal, I have to admit. This post was mostly an excuse to talk about Ash again. Sorry!

Pic from two days ago!

Thanks all!
    --Sam.

Thanks

Re: Where to place Acu-Rite? Velcro cons?

When I was at Wal Mart picking up the Accurite I also purchased some small suction cups in the hardware area. Just make sure the knob fits in the hole of the thermometer and you should have no problems. Mine has yet to fall out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdehlin
    When I was at Wal Mart picking up the Accurite I also purchased some small suction cups in the hardware area. Just make sure the knob fits in the hole of the thermometer and you should have no problems. Mine has yet to fall out.
    Suction cups!!!

Holy monkeys, that's a good idea. Not permanent (a plus), but relatively secure (another plus). Unless Ash learns how to unplug suction cups, in which case, uh, maybe he deserves to tip over the Acu-Rite.

Thanks, bdehlin!

Thanks

Suction cups would work nicely too. I just bought a strip of velcro, trimmed a small strip of it to fit on the face of the Acu-Rite and stuck it on that way so it's face out to the front of my tubs (does that make any sense LOL I know what I mean! ) Then I just popped the stand back in the unit and there you go. The velcro does eventually have to be replaced as it gets a bit loose with the humidity but that's not often.

Post pics or whatever about Ash. We all love a newcomer's enthusiasm around here!
    ~~Joanna~~

Registered User cornyballpython's Avatar
    Thanks

"holy monkey" hu? lol im saving up for a Acu-right haha so this thred is usefull hehe, when i first got my bp i think i drove every one crazy over at the other forums i was at haha i think he have seen enough of my snake but they still love the creative pics i get of him

-Sara
    0.0.1 ball python "akua"

0.0.1 snow corn snake "Sleet"
    0.0.1 okeetee corn snake "Seismo"
    0.1 german shepherd "Zandra (or zanny)"

Thanks

Joanna, I totally understand what you're saying! Hahah, thanks a bunch! Really good ideas.

Sara, I didn't post on your thread but your photos of Akua are just downright beautiful. I can't get over the picture of Akua periscoping over the edge of the pool table. SO CUTE!

Yeah, and I'm only two weeks into this, ya'll. We'll see how it is when I actually start handling Ash! Hope all goes well at the vet tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

Thanks

I use velcro. I did do the suction cup thing, but it was a pain , it was always coming off the hooks they come with, leaving me worry that the snake may cut itself once the accurite was off the hook.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne
    I use velcro. I did do the suction cup thing, but it was a pain , it was always coming off the hooks they come with, leaving me worry that the snake may cut itself once the accurite was off the hook.

Jeanne, is it possible to simply remove the hook (I think I know which hooks you mean)? Will the Acu-Rite fit fine on just the suction cup, without the hook? That way, even if the Acu-Rite falls off, I wouldn't have to worry about Ash cutting himself--a very terrifying concern for me!

--Sam.

Thanks

I had not looked into that actually, you may find some that you dont need a hook for. I just went on to velcro to keep from dealing with a hassle and fix the problem right away.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

I have a suggestion. What about those 3M hooks? They have all different sizes and are supposed to be pretty permenant until you are ready to remove them. I did use them when I had the tank.

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...6669w0c7rrrrQ-
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast