Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,262

2 members and 3,260 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.o.s!!!

Thanks

Unhappy S.o.s!!!

First of all Hello

Here it goes....

I rescued a balled python over the weekend and I haven't got a clue as to how to care for it. The person bought the BP from a flea market 6 months ago...he informed me that the snake has not eaten since he has been in his possession He said that he attempted to feed it a mouse once but he took it out because it was biting the snake. I offered to take the BP off his hands because I could not stand to see it suffer any longer. He had in a 20 gallon aquarium with two rocks and a large bowl of water. I'm afraid that if he does not eat like yesterday ..he going to die

From what I have been reading I know that first thing is the temperature in the tank. When I brought him home I put a towel in the aquarium and he immediately wrapped up in it. I'm assuming that he will not eat because he is not happy Someone told me that the VET would force feed him if he won't eat....is this true?? How long can he live without eating?

I am so concerned about him and he such a beautiful snake. I'm going to take him to the VET to make sure that he's not suffering from something else. His skin is very smooth no spots or anything....he is very friendly towards me but jumps when other people come near him....

any advice you guys have to offer would be more than appreciated....

Thanks

Re: S.o.s!!!

Welcome.. and good for you for rescuing a poor ball python.

First off, read our care sheet. It covers all basic aspects of ball python husbandry: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=52

Going to a reptile vet is a great choice. If you need help finding a reptile vet (dog/cat vets are not going to be much help here) go to this site.. it's a directory of reptile vets. http://www.arav.org/Directory.htm

How is the tank set up now for him/her?

EDIT: oh I forgot to add that a ball python can live for a VERY long time without eating. Most likely it hasn't eaten because it has been stressed by being in an improper environment. Is it possible for you to post a picture? Then we can tell you how underweight it is.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

You can start off by reading these two threads, one is a caresheet, the other is a FAQ:

http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=52
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=31102
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! There have already been some great links given, but I thought I'd add a little to what has already been said. First off, it's nice to see that your snake is now in a caring environment.

Ball pythons can go quite long without eating, but much depends on the weight, size and age of the snake. Six months isn't too long and force feeding is probably premature at this point. The best thing you can do is to provide a nice envirnoment per the caresheets, then leave the snake alone for a couple of weeks. If everything is set up okay, you might find that your snake will eat as soon as you offer him a meal. A live mouse would probably be your best bet initially.

One more thing, you mentioned that you will be taking your snake to the vet. If at all possible, try and take him to a vet that specializes in reptiles. Good luck!!

-Lawrence

Thanks

Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much....very helpful info

I still have him in the aquarium in my room which is REALLY warm...there is nothing in the tank with the exception of two rocks, a bowl of water and a towel I put in there to keep him comfortable...hehehe...I know it's not a puppy....the guy told me that he had heated rocks but from what I'm reading we should not use those? When I get off work I'll go buy a heater and thermometer....

Get this when I went over to the person's house I asked where the snake was...he had him in a pillow case and said that he had been in there for 2 weeks..I was SOOOO ticked!

I'll take a picture of him to post.....thank

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiRay
    I still have him in the aquarium in my room which is REALLY warm.
    Not warm enough. Ball pythons need access to heat in the low to mid 90's. Without it they can potentially develop a respiratory infection and possibly die. Your first priority should be immediately setting up a heat gradient that goes from 82-84 on one end of the tank to 92-94 on the other so that your snake has the temperatures it needs to survive ... THEN worry about the snake eating.

Hope this helps.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Ok you need to go to walmart or target or.. whatever and get a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer/hygrometer (humidity reader) Make sure your warm side temperatures are 92-94 degrees, and cool side is 82-84. Snakes need a temperature gradient to be healthy.

Hot rocks burn reptiles.. they are killers.. NEVER use one. An under tank heater is your best bet, however you need a thermostat for it to be safe. Without a control, pet store under tank heaters will get hot enough to burn your reptile too.. though they are not quite as bad as a hot rock. Expect to pay at least $70-80 for a good thermostat. Ranco or Johnson Controls are good ones. Make sure you get one that is already wired. If you have more money, a proportional thermostat (Helix or Herpstat) are the best. They are around $130 though.

Your snake needs hiding spots too. These are mentioned in the care sheet. A BP without hides is a stressed animal.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Roger that!!

I will make a trip to Wally World as soon as I get off!!

Thank's so much guys I was going to worry myself sick...I swear I can see the sadness in his little eyes

Thanks

s.o.s...

its s.u.s.
    stirring up singles!!!!!
    ohhh koolaid...you make me smile!
    *_*Erica*_*
    And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance,character; and character, hope.
    Romans 5:2-4

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome! :

I just wanted to add something to April's comments about the heating pad and thermostat. You absolutely MUST get a reliable heat source for the tank...preferably one that goes under it, as has already been mentioned. And an Under-Tank-Heater (UTH) absolutely must have some kind of control, otherwise it will get too hot and be just as dangerous as a heat rock.

April mentions thermostats, which are the very best way to go, but they may be considered pricey for some. And it may also take several days to a week or more to aquire one. An alternative to thermostats is a rheostat (aka light dimmer) that you can buy at your local hardware store. They make them so that you can plug the heat source right into them and control the amount of heat it puts out.

It's not the ideal way to go, but it's by far better than nothing. If a t-stat sounds too expensive, or you have to wait awhile to have one delivered, run to Lowes or whatever, and get yourself a dimmer switch.
    -- Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast