Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,964

2 members and 2,962 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Neptune Shed

Thanks

Neptune Shed

Just a real quick update... Just put in Ma-tsu's humid hide, see if it helps her feel better but I'm not making another one till I see how she likes it's size opacity etc... If she likes it, I'll cut and sand the plastic on another for Neptune. Otherwise, leaving her alone and no food for a while. Poor girl...

I got a post shed pic of Neptune and a pic of his shed, though I really need a decent size picture of him in my hands. We'll get that one another time, he just ate!

Yup, I'm a dork.

I've also learned something about snakes that have once been fed live... they know that rats don't fly. And they certainly don't do zombie dances in the air. The last time I tried to coax Neptune to eat with the zombie dance, he was terrified. Like the ghost of past feeders had come to haunt him or something. Imagine a bit of fried chicken floating in the window and dancing in front of your face. Gomez thinks that's fantastic, but Neptune found it very very upsetting. Of course, Gomez is young and has always been on f/t and thinks that floating Scooby Do zombie dances are just what rats do. This time I used the tongs to place the food item on top of Neptune's hide in the middle of the day while he was out and wriggled it, more natural movements close to a real surface. Worked like a charm, which is a relief since he's such a problem eater. I'm going to do it that way from now on for him.

Sorry I'm so absent and lurky lately, bleh. I'll catch up better eventually
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

Re: Neptune Shed

Great shed pic Sheree! Glad to hear you've found the trick to get Neptune to take his f/t rat.

When we fed f/t we found also that putting the prey in a natural position against the substrate and just sort of zombie walking it around did the trick. Instead of grasping it by the tail with the hemostats we just held the prey by the scruff of it's neck and more or less "walked" it. Course you have to be quick to release the prey when the snake hits and starts to coil. Always seemed to work with our snakes
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Neptune Shed

Thank you He was taking f/t just left for him every once in a while, but kept playing Mr. Fuzzington with them every so often. Toasty, wriggling, and not flying by it's armpits is how Neptune likes his rats. Yay! For Gomez I just kind of wriggle dance them around in front of him by their armpits, like they're walking on their hind feet... He thinks it's awesome, lol.

Ma-tsu loves her humid hide, btw, but it's a bit too big so I'm not cutting one for Neptune till I find a smaller size, less plastic containers to demolish that way

And speaking of Ma-tsu, she was very fascinated with Gomez tonight. Not in a hunting way, or an aggressive way, but she could see him hanging with us on the couch through the tank and was mesmerized by him doing this little courtship twitch. She's also really hormonal right now. I think she was flirting with him. Naughty Ma-tsu, he's too young for you and a boid! Man... would be awesome if that was possible though. A mellow fat BP in those colors? *dies* Still... naughty Ma-tsu!
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007