Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,485

2 members and 3,483 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How do you know when your ball is full?

Hey I just got my first ball python yesterday. They guy told me that its feeding day is today, by the way its a 4 foot long, and about 5 inches around. So today I went to the reptile store and I got a mouse, and I stuck it in the take he ate it, then I reached in to move the water tank, and it stuck at me. My assumtion that it was hungry still, So i just got back from feeding the snake small rat. When do I know when it is full, or how much, or large an animal to feed it??? Also how long should I wait to handle the snake again? Thanks alot.

Thanks

Re: How do you know when your ball is full?

You shouldn't handle for 48 hours after feeding.. right after they have eaten they are often still in 'hunting mode' hence the strike at you. Just because they strike doesn't mean they are still hungry. Snakes are opportunistic hunters who eat when food is available in anticipation of famine (remember they come from the wilds of Africa)

You don't want to overfeed your BP. The general rule of thumb is to feed one prey item per week which is about the same size around that your ball python's belly is at it's widest point.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Alright, first things first. Don't handle the snake or disturb he/she for at least a week (this includes feeding it). This will give the snake enough time to settle in and calm down. They are very easily disturbed and upset when going through a move.
    To answer your question: One rat/mouse that is slightly larger or around the same size as thickest part of your snake's girth, once a week. Don't handle 24-48 hours after feeding him/her. I wait two days. Your snake is probably very stressed right now so it is hard to say why it struck out at you, but if I was a gambling man, which I am , I would say that he/she was still in feed mode and struck at whatever moved. They do that.
    It's All About Boas
    www.jimisnakes.com
    JimiSnakes Facebook Page
    ~Jimi

Thanks

You shouldn't handle for 48 hours after feeding.. right after they have eaten they are often still in 'hunting mode' hence the strike at you. Just because they strike doesn't mean they are still hungry. Snakes are opportunistic hunters who eat when food is available in anticipation of famine (remember they come from the wilds of Africa)

You don't want to overfeed your BP. The general rule of thumb is to feed one prey item per week which is about the same size around that your ball python's belly is at it's widest point.
    Haha, you must've been typing at the same time I was, but you were quicker!
    It's All About Boas
    www.jimisnakes.com
    JimiSnakes Facebook Page
    ~Jimi

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Congrats on getting him, and congrats on a successful first feeding. They often don't eat right after changing homes.

They don't get "full" in the sense that mammals do. In the wild, if they come upon a nest of rodents, they may gorge themselves...and then not eat again for months. If you feed your snake too much at one time, he may eat it all, but then you may have trouble getting him to eat again later.

Your best bet is to provide the proper sized prey item (the size of your bp, by your description, I think a small or med rat would be perfect) just once a week. Feed on the same day each week, with the same routine. If he skips a meal, just wait until his next scheduled feeding to try again.

Anyhow...steady, regular, conservative meals will keep your snake healthy and "happy." Don't worry about trying to fill him up.

OH, and by the way....when he struck at your hand, it was very likely that he was just still in hunt/feed mode and saw something warm come into his field of view...either that, or you scared him...feeding time is very vulnerable for them. Next time, wait until he's all done "hunting" and goes back into his hide to sleep, before trying to mess around in the enclosure...but hopefully you shouldn't have to mess around at all anyhow, on feeding day.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hah...we all were typing at the same time! Ah well...more points of view can't hurt anything!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Cool thanks alot, Just one more question though, Since you are not supposed to handle it right after feeding time, then is there any point in feeding the snake in a different area? Or is that a myth that feeding them in their cages makes them aggressive?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It IS a myth that feeding them in their own enclosure will make them more inclined to bite. People have had success at feeding in a separate tank for other reaons...but that is one reason you don't have to worry about.

My personal opinion is to leave them in their own enclosure if there is not already some different routine clearly established. Much less risk that way.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Sorry about that question, I just took a look at the FAQs. Thanks all.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hehe...no problem.
    -- Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast