Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,044

2 members and 3,042 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: Infrared

Thanks

Infrared

Hey, I talked this over with Rab before, but I still have some questions. (Not saying Rab is wrong, I believe him!) So, I understand that snakes have poor eyesight, and they can detect heat signatures. But, for the infrared bulbs that I use during the night, not only does it emit infrared waves (invisible heat), but it also gives off a red light...What exactly is that red light, because infrared light is not visible in our spectrum. So my question is can my BP see the red light during the night, which would irratate its cycle, AS WELL as detect the heat signature given off by the infrared bulb?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Infrared

Mocolo - first - over here! I don't mind you questioning! It's how we all learn! (psssstttt....I'm a gal! )

Thanks

Ooops!! Sorry. I always say "he" for everything >__< It's a guy thing I guess lol. O well I've posted a bunch on this site before, never really formally introduces myself but..well..here I am!

Thanks

I don't believe that snakes can see that red light. I believe the wavelength is outside their range of sight. Of course I should probably check on that one. I know I use one, and have never noticed a problem with it.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10377274&dopt=Abstract

Take a look at Figure 1 in the PDF of that paper.......red light is defined as electromagnetic radation between 630-760 nm.....as you can see from the graph of absorbance versus wavelength Ball Python Photoreceptor pigments do not absorb light very well in this range.....so I'd say that they "red light" of your bulb wont affect their biorythms very much....

EDIT....here's a direct link to the PDF....

http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/202/14/1931
    Last edited by Mendel's Balls; 05-23-2006 at 10:33 PM.
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

Thanks

I've used those red bulbs to heat a tank for a ball python, a boa, and a group of leopard geckos, and had great results. Those are certainly the best heating option if you have to use incandescent lighting to heat an enclosure.

I've been slowly switching over to Ceramic heat emitters though for the remaining glass tanks I use. No light whatsoever, nice even heat, and they last forever.
    -Brad

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mendel's Balls
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10377274&dopt=Abstract

Take a look at Figure 1 in the PDF of that paper.......red light is defined as electromagnetic radation between 630-760 nm.....as you can see from the graph of absorbance versus wavelength Ball Python Photoreceptor pigments do not absorb light very well in this range.....so I'd say that they "red light" of your bulb wont affect their biorythms very much....

EDIT....here's a direct link to the PDF....

http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/202/14/1931
    So there you go Mocolo! You can't argue with that! (you'd have to actually understand it to argue with it! )

Just teasing you Mendel! I love your contributions - even if a lot of the times they go way over my head (and I was even started off as a biology major - although organic chemistry made NO sense to me - and graduated as a psychology major! LOL)

Thanks

Yay, thanks everyone! Now its just me who has trouble sleeping from that infrared light given off XD lol, I got used to it though