Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 562

1 members and 561 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: Site Info FAQs

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Site Info FAQs

1. Can I link to other forums?

2. Why can’t I post a picture from someone else’s website?

3. Can I change my log-in name?

4. How do I post pictures?

5. How do I submit a photo for the BPOM/HOTM contests?

6. What are the contest rules?

7. How do I get a gallery of my own?

8. How do I change themes?

9. Why do some posts have stars in the title?

10. Can I use a custom avatar?

11. Can I use a logo banner in my signature?

12. Can anyone add events to the calendar?

13. How do I use the classifieds section?

14. When is this chat thing? Why isn’t it up all the time?

15. I tried to use the search function, but it returned too many hits. How can I make it work better?

16. I saw a post that really didn’t seem to belong here at all. What should I do?

17. What is a PM? How do I use them?

18. Why can’t we curse or say whatever we want to? Why you guys always trying to lay the smack down?

19. How do I make my pictures smaller?

20. What does subscribing to a thread mean? How do I do it? How do I make it stop?

21. I am on dialup. Is there anything I can do to make the site load faster?

22. What are some features of the BP.net forum that new folks might want to know about?

==========================================================

1. Can I link to other forums?

While we do allow linking to other sources, please do so only if the information is not already available here at BPNet and only for the purposes of promoting reasonable and appropriate discussion. Linking for the purpose of slamming another forum, indvidual or any other inflammatory action will not be tolerated.

2. Why can’t I post a picture from someone else’s website?

Posting a picture from another site leaches bandwidth from their site each time that thread is clicked on. That is considered very poor "Internet manners." You should feel free to post a link for the picture though.

3. Can I change my log-in name?

You may inquire about changing your login in name, but in doing so you will lose all your earned reputation and post count. You will have to start as a new member.

4. How do I post pictures?

First resize pictures, so they are no wider than 800 pixels. Once you have the pictures ready for download, go to the Gallery and click on My Stuff. Proceed to My Gallery and Upload on the tool bar. There are also two links that may be helpful.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=18760

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=28289

5. How do I submit a photo for the BPOM/HOTM contests?

Just upload a picture into the appropriate BPOM/HOTM current entries in the gallery. The pictures will show up in the contest gallery after it has been approved by a staff member. (Initial approval of a picture does not guarantee contest entry…see Contest Rules.)

http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...images.php?c=2

6. What are the contest rules?

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=25833

7. How do I get a gallery of my own?

When you sign up, you are given a free gallery. All you have to do is to upload your pictures. Just go to the gallery. Click on My Stuff, and proceed to My Gallery. It’s all yours. Just remember that you may only upload pictures that abide by the site rules.

8. I’m tired of basic blue. Can I change the forum colors? (How do I change themes?)

On the main tool bar, go to edit options. Scroll to the bottom, until you find "Miscellaneous options." The last option is to change the forum skin. These are you options for different color schemes. Select one and then save changes. This should pull up that particular skin every time you log in. If you only want to change the skin/theme temporarily, you can select change themes located under the calendar on the main page.

9. Why do some posts have stars in the title?

Along the top bar of the thread you should see a "Rate Thread" drop-down. If you have found a post enjoyable or enlightening feel free to give it a rating!

10. Can I use a custom avatar?

Yep you can – as long as it is a jpg or gif no larger than 120x150 pixels (WxH) that does not feature anything in violation of the site rules and Terms of Service – keep it family friendly and you should be fine.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Site Info FAQs

11. Can I use a logo banner in my signature?

You are welcome to use signature banners that are no larger than 450x100 pixels and 20kb – just make sure you are not promoting another forum and that graphics used within the banner conform with the site standards. If you choose to use a banner additional signature text should be limited to 2 lines. These limits are enforced so that graphics to do not make the forums needlessly slow, cluttered or excessively spaced due to graphics.

12. Can anyone add events to the calendar?

Yes – feel free to add upcoming herping events to the calendar. Simply navigate to the Calendar page (click on the Calendar’s month title) and look for the "Add Event" option in the upper right corner.

13. How do I use the classifieds section?

I have (content) I'd like to share - where can I send it or upload it?

If you have a review, classifieds and certain downloads these may be added freely through the appropriate section. Artwork may be submitted to our new Herp Art gallery as well. If you have Caresheets or other content-specific contributions you would like to make feel free to email this to contribute(at)ball-pythons.net.

14. When is this chat thing? Why isn’t it up all the time?

Chat usually occurs in response to collective desire to open it up in hopes there will be enough people to fill it. It cannot stay up and running all the time due to both the number of database queries it requires and also because having it running constantly runs the risk of so much great information exchanged being lost to the forums and its search feature – if its in the forums where all can red it more folks benefit from it.

15. I tried the search function but it returned too many hits. How can I make it work better?

You can try using more than one search term - or better yet select advanced search and then you can dictate which forums should be searched as well as picking whether to search thread titles only or the entire body of the thread. If using more than one search term you can use Boolean operators such as AND, NOT, OR, + and -.

16. I saw a post that really didn’t seem to belong here at all. What should I do?

If you come across an inappropriate or offensive post you can use the "Report Post" option to have emails sent to site staff. Find the particular post and under the user’s name you will see a red-bordered triangle with an exclamation point in it – simply click and fill out the few fields to report the post.

17. What is a PM? How do I use them?

PMs are private messages – you can access them by clicking the "Private Messages" link under your name near the top of the screen. Sending someone a PM is as easy as tying their username in the recipient field or right clicking on someone’s name and selecting the appropriate option.

18. Why cant we curse or say whatever we want to? Why you guys always trying to lay the smack down?

In order to keep the site accessible to as wide a variety of ages and sensibilities possible it was long ago decided to maintain the forum as a "family friendly" environment. The few other possible restrictions relate to copyrights, bandwidth or member leeching.

19. How do I make my pictures smaller?

Use image editing software such as irfanview, photoshop or paint shop pro etc.

20. What does subscribing to a thread mean? How do I do it? How do I make it stop?

Subscribing to a thread allows you to receive email notifications whenever an unviewed reply is posted in that thread. Subscription options can be managed through UserCP (on the menu bar) and then selecting Edit Options on the left side.

21. I am on dialup. Is there anything I can do to make the site load faster?

Also under UserCP > Edit Options then scroll down to "Visible Post elements" – you can disable Images, Avatars and Signatures from your view of the forum in order to speed up load times.

22. What are some features of the BP.net forum that new folks might want to know about?

The search function is a highly underutilized tool. It’s located on the main tool bar, and has an advanced function so you can further define your search.

We also have a review section that can help you find a multitude of things from supplies to breeders. Please feel free to post in this section if you have had a good or bad experience. http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....x&name=Reviews

In the Section’s portion you can find caresheets, do-it-yourself projects, FAQs, and even answers to some of the most common medical questions.

The calendar is up to let everyone know of upcoming reptile shows and birthdays. If you have an event please feel free to add it!

There is also a store where you can buy Ball-Pythons.net stuff!!
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/shop.php?

Every so often we also open up the chat room for the members to enjoy.

Explore the site via the Module Jump, on the main page. You’ll find downloads, links, and even an encyclopedia of common herp terms.