Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 580

1 members and 579 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Crested Gecko FAQs

1. What does my baby crested need to eat?

2. Does it need any supplements? If so, what kind and how much?

3. What are the housing requirements for a baby crested?

4. Can you keep more than one crested in the same enclosure?

5. What size housing for a mature crested?

6. Help!! Its tail came off! Will it grow back?

7. My crested’s tail fell off! What should I do?

8. How old must a crested be before you can determine gender?

9. How do you tell male from female?

10. Do cresteds need supplemental heat and/or special light?

11. Do they have a humidity requirement?

12. Will my crested drink from a water bowl? Or should I mist?

==========================================================

1. What does my baby crested need to eat?

• T-Rex Crested Gecko Diet—babies have very small stomachs so you only need to mix a little at a time and serve in a small, shallow dish. Lids from small bottles, pill bottle caps, etc. work well as food dishes.

• Small crickets—the length of the cricket should be no more than the width of the gecko’s head from eye to eye.

• Fruit flavored baby food—this can be offered as a treat, but because of its high sugar content it should be given no more than once per week.

2. Does it need any supplements? If so, what kind and how much?

The T-Rex Crested Gecko Diet (CGD) contains all of the nutrition that your gecko needs, however if you feed crickets or other insects they should be dusted with a multi-vitamin and a calcium supplement. Rep-Cal’s Herptivite and Phosphorus Free Calcium with D3 supplements are a good choice.

3. What are the housing requirements for a baby crested?

A hatchling crested gecko can be housed in a small or medium sized kritter keeper with paper towel substrate and either real or fake leaves and vines to climb on. When choosing an enclosure for a hatchling or young crested keep in mind that smaller enclosures are easier for them to find food in.

4. Can you keep more than one crested in the same enclosure?

Multiple juveniles can be housed together depending on the size of the enclosure, but with more geckos per enclosure comes added risk of tail loss and bites as juveniles can sometimes play roughly. Multiple adult females can usually be kept together peacefully. If you house a male and female together you will most definitely get eggs, so be careful not to house pairs together unless breeding them is your intent.

5. What size housing for a mature crested?

One adult crested can be housed comfortably in the equivalent of a ten gallon tank turned vertically. Three adults can be housed in a 23” x 23” x 16” enclosure if there are plenty of climbing areas and hiding spaces for them to get away from one another when necessary.

6. Help!! Its tail came off! Will it grow back?

Unfortunately crested geckos do not regenerate their tails, but this is of no consequence to the gecko.

7. My crested’s tail fell off! What should I do?

Tail loss in crested geckos is quite common and will not have any negative effect on your gecko. As long as the gecko’s enclosure is kept clean it should heal on its own. Do not use Neosporin or any other kind of healing agent on the wound as petroleum based products are harmful if ingested.

8. How old must a crested be before you can determine gender?

Males can usually be sexed by 3-6 months of age and females by 6-9 months of age although there is some variation in the rate at which individual cresteds mature.

9. How do you tell male from female?

Males have enlarged pre-anal pores and a large post-anal bulge, which holds the hemipenis.

10. Do cresteds need supplemental heat and/or special light?

Cresteds do well at temperatures ranging from approximately 68-80 degrees therefore do not generally require supplemental heating. You may provide a UVA/UVB light source during the day provided that it does not heat the enclosure over 80 degrees but it is not necessary for the well being of the gecko.

11. Do they have a humidity requirement?

Cresteds should be kept at about 60% humidity. Less humid environments are okay as long as a humid hide and frequent mistings are provided.

12. Will my crested drink from a water bowl or should I mist?

Cresteds will drink both water droplets from misting and from water dishes. It is a good idea to provide a shallow water dish at all times and to mist at least once per day.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Alexandra V (05-11-2011),Anya (03-16-2012),Arcapello (09-30-2012),BHReptiles (06-10-2013),branson (09-14-2009),gunkle (03-21-2019),jfreels (08-30-2010),katieam (11-05-2008),lizzy_troy (06-07-2015),Mephibosheth1 (07-08-2013),Mike Cavanaugh (01-17-2009),Seru1 (03-29-2010)