Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,795

1 members and 2,794 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Australian Carpet Python

I have been offered a "australian carpet python" and I looked them up on the net, and searched here to find that there are different types(Two that are australian?).
    I had a few questions(as always)
    1. Which type is this likely to be? the most common one?
    2. Are these difficult to keep? The net says no, fairly easy.
    3. What would be the best setup for ONE, and I will have it at my shop, quarentined from any of my other snakes.
    4. Anything I should have just asked and haven't?
    I really appriciate this site, as I read the net and read up here and I DID read the care sheet here too! Just wanting owners opinions, I Can get a nice rubbermaid but I have had problems with escapees, and I CAN'T have one get loose up here, the landlord might revoke my lease! LOL.
    What about a setup like people use for the green tree pythons? Are these really arboreal? Or semi? Will they hang out on a branch? Or is it something I would have to discover from the individual snake?
    I want to know WHAT I am getting into before I go pick up a new pet.
    Wolfy

Thanks

Re: Australian Carpet Python

It is likely a jungle carpet (morelia spilota cheynei) They are easy to care for.. and as babies they are semi arboreal. With age they spend more time on the ground.

Either a small tank or a plastic bin (a bit taller one to accomodate a climbing branch is nice) Just use some binder clips from the office store to secure the lid and you shouldn't have any problem with escape.

Jungle carpets grow 6-8' long but they are skinny snakes. Coastal carpets can grow 10' or more.. again fairly skinny, but these are less common than jungle carpets. Irian Jaya carpets are the smallest carpet python subspecies.. not as common as jungle carpets either.. they grow 4-6' normally.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

post a pic and let the forum help identify it for you. you're in the right place to get the best help....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Thanks but it turned out that the psycho lady who gave me the information was totally making it up. The guy has no desire to get rid of either of his snakes and takes wonderful care of them.
    I swear I thought I posted this info here. I was disappointed but then also glad that the snakes didn't NEED rescueing for once! Thank you guys so much!
    Wolfy