Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,886

2 members and 2,884 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Advanced Herpatology Category?

I'm with Adam...first thing I hit is "new posts"
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TekWarren
    I'm with Adam...first thing I hit is "new posts"
    Me too. I use that list to find all the new posts, rather than scanning each individual forum. However, having specific forums keeps everything neat and tidy, it makes it easier to find specific information if you're searching, and it sometimes promotes new discussions where there might not have been any before.

The staff has a lot on its plate right now and I don't know if new forums will happen anytime soon, or at all...but its worth discussing.
    -- Judy

Thanks

I am just a new posts kind of guy

Thanks

I think seeing the advanced stuff in each forum here and there is a good thing, so I vote "no" on a seperate forum for all the smarty-pants people out there. Sorry nerds!
    -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    I think seeing the advanced stuff in each forum here and there is a good thing, so I vote "no" on a seperate forum for all the smarty-pants people out there. Sorry nerds!
    I have to agree, I like seeing advanced things in each forum also. And I particularly like to read Mendels "advanced posts", as they are informative and spark alot of thought, I may not follow all of it 100% because some of it is over my head, but it is all interesting topics and well worth not separating it because it is felt that it is "advanced". I know that some are not interested in those topics, but really, it is not hard to ignore a post after you figure out that you are not interested in it or find it too complicated for you at that time. Besides, I would think that if it confused one and sparked interest, it would be the opprtunity to ask more questions to get rid of ones confusion.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne
    I have to agree, I like seeing advanced things in each forum also. And I particularly like to read Mendels "advanced posts", as they are informative and spark alot of thought, I may not follow all of it 100% because some of it is over my head, but it is all interesting topics and well worth not separating it because it is felt that it is "advanced". I know that some are not interested in those topics, but really, it is not hard to ignore a post after you figure out that you are not interested in it or find it too complicated for you at that time. Besides, I would think that if it confused one and sparked interest, it would be the opprtunity to ask more questions to get rid of ones confusion.

My inital thoughts about the compliant....I figured if you dont want to read something then you dont have too.....

But I figured I would take it to the people and see what they thought.

Thanks for the thoughts.
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

I tried to explain that it wasn't a "complaint" ... I don't understand what you're not getting.

Like I said, I think that you have some great insight and can add a lot to the forums, I just wish you could find a way to communicate your thoughts in a way that everyone can understand (or more people than those that have a background in chem, bio, etc) ... We have a lot of smart members here and the thing that I LOVE about this place is that it really feels like a family ... if you come in with posts that are way over the top, all you're really going to be doing is talking to a small group of members that have to background to understand what you are talking about and potentially alienating people that are interested, but don't know how to begin to jump into a conversation like that.

On the other hand, if you slow down, put some basics behind your vocabulary and ideas, and gauge your posts towards more of a common denominator, I think that you'll get a much more lively discussion from people on the site ... and most importantly, open the discussion to the entire community regardless of their background.

Same message, just different delivery is all.

I think that many of the members here would love to soak up as much knowledge as they can when it comes to all things ball python (and general herp) related and that you can be a valuable resource to help them do that … but in order to reach ALL members, you really need to find a more common vocabulary … or at least give them some help getting up to speed with yours.

It's not that I didn't like what you said, I just asked if you could try and say it in a way that more people could understand. I was just trying to help the site.

So yes, I'm the jack a$$ that sent the PM ... I'm not shy about it.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Adam, no reason to admit, we all knew it had to be you!
    -Brad

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Advanced Herpatology Category?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    I tried to explain that it wasn't a "complaint" ... I don't understand what you're not getting.

Like I said, I think that you have some great insight and can add a lot to the forums, I just wish you could find a way to communicate your thoughts in a way that everyone can understand (or more people than those that have a background in chem, bio, etc) ... We have a lot of smart members here and the thing that I LOVE about this place is that it really feels like a family ... if you come in with posts that are way over the top, all you're really going to be doing is talking to a small group of members that have to background to understand what you are talking about and potentially alienating people that are interested, but don't know how to begin to jump into a conversation like that.

On the other hand, if you slow down, put some basics behind your vocabulary and ideas, and gauge your posts towards more of a common denominator, I think that you'll get a much more lively discussion from people on the site ... and most importantly, open the discussion to the entire community regardless of their background.

Same message, just different delivery is all.

I think that many of the members here would love to soak up as much knowledge as they can when it comes to all things ball python (and general herp) related and that you can be a valuable resource to help them do that … but in order to reach ALL members, you really need to find a more common vocabulary … or at least give them some help getting up to speed with yours.

It's not that I didn't like what you said, I just asked if you could try and say it in a way that more people could understand. I was just trying to help the site.

So yes, I'm the jack a$$ that sent the PM ... I'm not shy about it.

-adam
    And my point to you is that it is impossible to gauge where everyone is at every moment in an online forum.

You yourself often use terms like dominant and recessive...these are alien terms to many people. However, if an individual wants to really know the term he/she can just ask.....or search the forum. Some people that use this site are non-native English speakers and they probably are completely lost when we use certain idioms.

I try to be as lucid as possible....I could have been much more complicated with my post.....I could have used terms like intermediate, polymer, etc.....

I use analogies like the factory assembly line analogy of metabolic pathways.

Teaching is about life-time learning and helping other individuals become life-long learners.....put the ownership of knowledge and knowledge acquisiton into your students hands. Provide resources and aid for others when needed. I had a great Calculus teacher in high-school tell me "The learning is in the struggle...."

If you arent struggling at all to understand concepts, a person isnt really learning....

The challege of a teacher is challenge students to struggle but not struggle too much or they will become overally frustrated.....I myself struggled with some of the same things I talked about--"chromatophore biology" isnt real simple at first.

If someone becomes overally frustrated here they can always start a thread or chime into one.....or search the forums....that's the beauty of the net....its personalized if you know how to use it....and I think most people on this site learn how to use this site for their purposes rather quickly!

If there is one problem with my posts its that they have gotten too quick and sometimes make stupid word slip ups ....and I am sloppy with proofreading.

But xdeus, elevatethis, and many others that have help aid my discussions quickly help me out to remedy this....If you want to help out, suggest where I might need to simply things within a thread....dont rate me negatively. I dont have as many postives as you and a bad thread rating for disagreeing with "how I roll" just isnt cool...

I could get in the orange for no good reason....some of us dont have a million reputation points to spare.

Personally, the only reason why I think someone should receive a negative thread rating is because of direct insults, slander, racial/ethnic slurs, and vulgarity.

Otherwise, you likely to chase people away....the same thing you accused me of....and I dont think that is FAIR.

Anyway, I am sure you will have your opinion on this matter. You are welcomed to state it. I will unlikely respond.....I dont want this thread to turn into a complete slugfest. Your perspective did help me improve the biochem thread and come up with the analogy...and I thank you for that.

take care,

Mike

PS>As I joked before with you....its really all your fault....it was you afterall that recommended the following book.....http://www.chicagoherp.org/books/variants.html

Most of my questions have flowed from that text...your the one that gave this monster life...lol...
    Last edited by Mendel's Balls; 05-17-2006 at 03:06 PM.
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

Thanks

I realy like you post medel's, I love biology and herpetology, I what to study herp vet and or biology(I have to have some thing is biology to start vet some thing like that) and even I have troble with my friends at high school because the teacher and I will discuss stuff about the class and the other studest didnt knew what whe were talking, sow every where you go theres gonna be people that dont understand, but we have to put it in a level were they can undestand allittle more. Im one that my native language is not english, but with mi dictionary I can undestad words that I neves seen, keep up your post even if I dont reply

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast