Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 842

2 members and 840 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Piebald 66% Hets, Help!

Just curious, The breeder ive been working with has Piebald 66% hets for 100/male and 400/female. If i would get the Male piebald, and breed it with a Normal Female, would i still get 66% of the piebalds? Thanks for any insight.

Thanks

Re: Piebald 66% Hets, Help!

66% Hets means that .....each animal has a 66% chance of being het pied and a 33% chance of being completely normal. If you got a male homozygous pied and bred it to a normal female you would get 100% hets. If you breed a 66% het pied to a normal female you may get normals...you may get het pieds...it all depends on if you 66% het pied male is het pied or normal. You need to breed two 100% het pieds together to get a homo. pied.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Ok, so what would be the point of selling 66% hets then, if all they would make is more hets, So basically if i buy a male or female at 66%, i'll just get regulars with the gene right? Sorry for the questions, im kinda new. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by white_gorilla_x
    Ok, so what would be the point of selling 66% hets then, if all they would make is more hets, So basically if i buy a male or female at 66%, i'll just get regulars with the gene right? Sorry for the questions, im kinda new. Thanks
    You do understand that a 66% het "looks" just like a normal ball python right?

It just may or may not be carrying the gene to make piebalds. You have to put in the work in order to figure that out ... that's why they're so affordable.

If you make the purchase, you'll have to raise it up ... breed it to a female ... keep all (or some, but all is a better idea) of the female offspring ... raise them up for 3 years and breed them either back to their dad or to another known het pied male (or pied male). If you get pieds, you'll know that you're 66% het male was in fact carrying the gene ... if you don't get pieds, then he either isn't carrying the gene or you just missed on the odds.

The point of selling possible hets is that for someone that has more time and patience than money, they are a great way of getting into a very expensive breeding project.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Question Re: Piebald 66% Hets, Help!

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    66% Hets means that .....each animal has a 66% chance of being het pied and a 33% chance of being completely normal. If you got a male homozygous pied and bred it to a normal female you would get 100% hets. If you breed a 66% het pied to a normal female you may get normals...you may get het pieds...it all depends on if you 66% het pied male is het pied or normal. You need to breed two 100% het pieds together to get a homo. pied.
    Now could he get pieds if he bought a few of the 66% het females and bought a 100% het pied male? What would the percentage possibilities be then?
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by white_gorilla_x
    66% hets are just a cheaper alternative to 100% hets. Hets are a cheaper alternative to Homozygous animals (the Piebalds in your case). Pieds can cost anywhere from $4000 and up, so many people prefer to use hets as a cheaper route to making the expensive homozygous snakes.

The thing with the 66% hets is that you are gambling that you are getting a 100% het snake, and that's why they are also much cheaper than a 100% het.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    Now could he get pieds if he bought a few of the 66% het females and bought a 100% het pied male? What would the percentage possibilities be then?
    Of course, but only if the 66% het turns out to be a true Het (100%). If you don't get any pieds from that mating, there is a good chance that the 66% het is not a het at all, but just a normal. You have a 25% chance of getting a Pied from a HetxHet pair.

-Lawrence

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

If you get a 100% het male pied, and a 66% het female, you still have odds of getting some hets, some normals and possibily a pied.
    The 66% means you are not sure if it carries the pied gene or not, and it is NOT pied in looks. IF you get one that does carry the gene(and you have decent odds if you get more than one 66% het female) THEN you may get some actual pieds. YOu will get het pieds, to breed back and get more pieds. If you miss the odds, you got a normal female, then some of the babies will be hets and some will be normals.
    They are inexpensive, because there is a chance you are getting a normal. But if you can afford only them, you can get real bargains when the odds come up in your favor.
    Think this way, $100 for a poss het male and $400 for poss het female, and if you get great odds, you can make a piedbald snake worth $5000. With teh 2 years to raised them up of course.
    Or if you ahve the money you can pay $5000 and get a piedbald. *I* don' thave enough to simply buy all piedbalds, so I have several het females, to breed to a het pied male. Some of my females are 100% and 3 are possibly het(66%). I REALLY want some pieds, for a project so I sank money into het pieds.
    Umm, sorry I rambled on.
    Wolfy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Piebald 66% Hets, Help!

Heck rambling on sometimes helps when it comes to genetics lol.With my luck recently i think i might never have pieds even if i went with a pair of 100% hets .Someday i might just trade up for a pied,like i said might .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

66% hets can be annoying to think about, because once they prove out, or dont, they become 0% or 100% , and are no longer 66% hets
    bryan