Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

1 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Thermostat Settings & Aspen

I recently switched substrate to aspen for my natures spirit rack. I use a johnson thermostat with the probe taped to the flexwatt. The rack I use has 3 levels and holds 3 41 qt sterilite tubs. Basically what I want to know is, if you have a similar setup or use the same t-stat as I do what do you keep your thermostat at to the get the temps right above the aspen?
    R - U - S - T - Y

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Thermostat Settings & Aspen

That kind of answer will depend on so many local variables, I doubt anyone can give you an answer that will be guaranteed correct for your enclosure. How deep is the substrate? Where is the enclosure located? Is it in a drafty area? What are the ambient temps in the room? .....etc etc...

Just get a thermometer (an accurate digital sort) and measure the temps yourself...adjusting as you go. I have to keep my t-stat set at 105 in order to maintain proper temps in the tank...and still have to tweak it every now and then if the room gets unusually cool or warm.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

You'll probably have to set your t stat about 10 degrees higher than your desired temp at the surface of the substrate, but like Judy said, there are some variables. Obviously, the more aspen you put in the tub, the more heat you'll need. I would recommend a temp gun over a thermometer though. Yeah, they're more money, but you can check temps in all your enclosures, and in different spots in each enclosure, quickly, without having to move the probe and wait for a reading. They're just a lot more convenient.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench133
    I would recommend a temp gun over a thermometer though.
    The thing about this is... (/rant on)

Temp guns are nifty little gadgets... They're fun to play with.. and if they have a laser sighting thingy on them, the laser's fun to play with too. They're pretty functional.. the more money you spend, the better the temp gun... the age old addage, "you get what you pay for".... They will accurately (for the most part) tell you what the temp is on the floor of several different areas of the tub, the wall, your fiance's butt... whatever you want to "zap"... but the PROBLEM is.. when setting up a thermostat, or making sure your temps are properly set... It won't tell you what the temps are when you're not in the room..

Why do you need to know? Well!

When setting up a new rack, or tub, or vivarium on a thermostat, I'm concerned with what the min and max ranges are in the environment. An 11.99 little accurite thermometer can do that for you. Simply put the thermometer on the cool side of the enclosure, the probe on the warm side, and let it sit for about an hour. Then go back, click on the min/max button, click clear.. do the same for the humidity, and then let it sit overnight.. or 24 hours is better. Then check what the min/max temps were. IDEALLY, you shouldn't have more than 2 degrees of difference between the min/max temps.

This is all very important for accurate husbandry... and a temp gun, while fun to play with and good for spot checking temps, will not tell you all you need to know. (/rant off)

Yeah, I have one of those temp guns too... it's cool.. my dog and my 4 year old love to chase the little laser dot around!
    Ken

Thanks

You might also want to set your desired temp at the bottom of the tub, not on top of the aspen. Snakes can burrow and you risk burnsbecause to get 92-94 on top of the aspen you are going to have to set the stat pretty high. That could mean 110 on the bottom of the tub. Of course, the less Aspen you use, the lower you will need the temp on the floor of the tub to be to get the temp you want on the surface of the Aspen

Banned
    Thanks

Rusty. I have the same basic setup. I set my thermo at 92 and it keeps the hot end of the tub at ~90 (mid aspen)at the hot end and 80 at the cool end. Expect that your snakes will screw around and push the aspen out of the way to get to the bottom of the tub often. I would suggest getting a thermometer with an indoor and outdoor feature, set the base unit to the cool end and set the remote probe to the hot end. I leave one in a tub all the time just for grins. But if you do this as set your thermo to get the temps where you want them you should stay pretty consistent. I hope this helps.