Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,132

2 members and 3,130 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

The cost of owning a dog

My girlfriend and I have been playing with the idea of a little black lab. We both know that owning a dog is like owning a child, having to buy it food and take it to the doctor (err....vet) and all that other good stuff..

So, after you buy it toys, and food, and after the vet bills, what do you generally spend per month on a dog?

Thanks

Re: The cost of owning a dog

Food and vet bills are going to be your biggest.

Other things to keep in mind..

monthly heartworm/flea medication
    grooming (optional for a lab if you want to give it a bath yourself, or if you don't mind doggy smell)
    The cheap foods are not worth it.. you'll have a healthier dog (and less vet bills) if you get quality food such as Nutro, Royal Canin, Bil Jac etc.
    Also your bills are going to be higher for a dog as big as a lab. You may want to consider a smaller breed. I'm a dog groomer so I have first hand experience with hundreds of breeds.. if you have any questions I can likely help!

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

there cool smalle dogs to. I have a min pin(miniature pincher) and is very cool and very defensive to de famoly, and I allsow have had, boston terriers, does are cool laid back dogs, well the final desition is up to you and your tast.

Thanks

Not a fan of small dogs in my opnion if it's smaller then a cat get a cat. I like the bigger breeds most of them tend to be better temperd less nipping less irritaing to you and your neigbors.As for cost I've owned several over the years most you can groom yourself vet vists are just normal expences figure one or two a year unless somthing comes up, vets are easier to find for dogs them exoctics. All in all not much more then it costs for anyohter pet really.
    Michael
    1.0 Het Albino BP ~ 1.0 Het Axanthic BP ~ 1.0 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Yellowbelly BP ~ 1.0 Cinnamon Pastel
    0.1 Pastel BP ~ 0.18 Normal BP's
    0.1 Albino Nelson's Milksnake ~ 1.2 BCI
    2008 BP Hatchlings - 3.4 Yellowbelly, 1.3 Normal

"Your enemy is never a villian in his own eyes.Keep this in mind;it may offer a way to make him your friend." "Little girls like butterflies need no excuses."

Thanks

A lot of small dogs can be snippy, but not all. Min pins are cool little dogs, as are italian greyhounds (I love these guys)

there's a breed for everyone!

April

Thanks

Standard vet care such as shots ,worm check, heartworm & flea prevenative such as frontline Run me about 275.00 per year. That includes the rabie tag. If your dog has short hair the grooming can be so easy to do yourself. Learning to cut nails is also a simple task.

Remember the spay or nueter surgery is a one time cost and well worth it if you are wanting a pet.
    If you do maint. care on your dog and use a leash when out, to avoid accidents vet bills can be kept to a min.. The 275 was actually more than my bill was this year.
    Quality food is a must. For a 25 lb french bulldog and a 95 lb. borzoi it cost me about 10 dollars a week for a high performance diet.
    Also about every 3 years the dog may need a teeth cleaning. Dental chew toys will cut the number of those visits. My borzoi is six and has never required a cleaning. I brush his teeth and do a little dental scraping. Caution! A dog that isn't used to someone messing with his teeth will not allow you to scrap.
    I show my dogs so maint. has always been the key to cutting cost. Any size dog is affordable if you practice reg. maint. The giant breeds are more prone to extremely expensive medical problems.
    The best thing to remember is to buy from a reputable breeder that will put a guarantee of some degree as far as hereditary problems.

Sorry for the lengthy post

Thanks

Yes.. please no pet shop puppies! I don't care what the pet store owner says, these dogs do not come from reputable breeders.. mostly from puppy mills (can you say bad genetics and health problems?)

April

Thanks

Yes make shure the breeder is reputeable or if your just getting a pet and go to the local human socitey i have found most of the dogs i have ever owned there.
    Michael
    1.0 Het Albino BP ~ 1.0 Het Axanthic BP ~ 1.0 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Yellowbelly BP ~ 1.0 Cinnamon Pastel
    0.1 Pastel BP ~ 0.18 Normal BP's
    0.1 Albino Nelson's Milksnake ~ 1.2 BCI
    2008 BP Hatchlings - 3.4 Yellowbelly, 1.3 Normal

"Your enemy is never a villian in his own eyes.Keep this in mind;it may offer a way to make him your friend." "Little girls like butterflies need no excuses."

Thanks

If adopting from a shelter they usually include the 1st vet visit , spay/ nueter cost as part of the fee. Than so much is taken care of from the start. Simply boils down to what your looking for.

Thanks

if you realy want a big dog get a great dane there realy cool and frendly, I have 6
    http://i1.tinypic.com/x4kiud.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast