Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,648

1 members and 2,647 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

feeding during breeding???

I'm new to this site. I have 2 ball pythons: Calvin (the girl) is 10 and Darby (the boy) is about 8. They've been living together for about 7 years and I have hoped for a long time to breed them. But 7 years later, nothing's ever happened, and a couple of years ago I kind of gave up hope.

But about 10 minutes ago, I walked into my office and there they are, stretched out in a fairly classic (from the pics I can find) breeding position, clearly locked together. Darby's currently stroking his head across the top of hers.

Now, my big question: do I feed them tonight as planned? How do I proceed here? My books on this stuff are all locked away because - as I said - I'd kinda figured it would never happen.

And does anyone have any ideas on what might have prompted this after so long? I have a bizarre suggestion I want to throw out there - my female chihuahua is in heat - could her pheremones have prompted this?

And, where do I go from here? How often will they breed during this period? how will I know when she's got a clutch? Signs to watch for?

PS - She did refuse feeding 10 days ago. Not sure if that has much to do with it.

Thanks

Re: feeding during breeding???

You can attempt feeding, but its very likely they will refuse now that they have started breeding.

Oh... and you should probably seperate them during the rest of the year... that might help your breeding efforts along. 7 Years 'eh? Get them both their own enclosures... get the temps stable during the regular times of the year... and then a night time drop in temps will help make them realize its time to breed.

Good luck with your breeding.....
    Ken

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: feeding during breeding???

Quote Originally Posted by mj_romo
    my female chihuahua is in heat - could her pheremones have prompted this?
    no.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty