Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,876

0 members and 2,876 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Bettas with barbs ??

Hey this is for all you fish people out there, i set up my tank awhile back with a puffer i had a hard time getting him to eat and sadly he died, its not really a big deal im just going to stick with some fish im a little more expierenced in.....i just wanna mix it up a little, i love bettas both male and female but i like that you can put the females together ive read alot about it and its possible, i just need to get more than two so they can establish a kind of pecking order, you cant have a pecking order with two fish so thats when they fight, i want and will get more nice females but i want to also add a couple more fish....ive had my eye on tigerbarbs they are really cool to me but i hear that they nip the fins of other fish, do you think that i could keep them with the females, thier fins arent even that long but im not sure

Coul female bettas and tiger barbs live together ?

By the way i only have my ten gal setup right now how many bettas can live comforably in there possibly with a small school of tigers ?
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks

Re: Bettas with barbs ??

Barbs are fairly aggressive.. I would not put them with a betta, female or no. Plus that, some female bettas are very aggressive and will attack other females, even if you have several. Keep it in mind.. you may have to jar up a female or two if they can't settle down. Crowntail females are more aggressive than veiltail.

I'm a betta lover too.. I have 6 male crowntails.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Tiger barbs arn't aggresive they just love picking at long fins. Most of the time they do it is when they're in too small of a school and are bored. I wouldn't put tiger barbs in anything smaller than a 30g long. You could put 3 maybe 4 female betta in a 10g if you kept up on water changes. Also the shape of a bettas tail has nothing to do with agression. Its like saying an albino BP is more agressive than a normal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonkey51
    Also the shape of a bettas tail has nothing to do with agression. Its like saying an albino BP is more agressive than a normal.
    Not true. I learned about the aggression of crowntails from a person who keeps and breeds hundreds of bettas - crowntails, double tails, super deltas, and halfmoons.

Also I know this from personal experience. My crowntails are much more apt to flare and try to go after their next-door neighbors than your average veiltail betta.

I have no experience with barbs, but I remember reading about fin nipping - I equate this with aggression.

April

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

First, let me say: Bettas completely rock. when I have a house, they are going to be EVERYWHERE.

Ok. anyways.

Tiger barbs
    can get up to like 3". It doesn't sound big but you will not be able to fit an appropriate size school of tigers to keep them off of the appropriate sized school of female bettas to keep them off of the barbs..... (circles, anyone?) in a 10 gallon. For the community your thinking of.... think bigger tank.

Although, I have to say that I've had many, fairly docile tiger barbs. All communities off fish will act differently, but just ONE mean guy can mess up the whole rest of the peacefull community. If he's mean enough, he can stress everyone else out and you may experience fatality.

Females can be very aggressive, and I don't know if the thought has run through your mind, but don't put a male and female together. They will most likely kill eachother.

A male can work out in a tank. The thing that sucks about a male in a community is that your options become limited- no super bright colors, no even remotely long fins. But they are beautiful, and the effort is worth it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

I would advise against puttin the tiger barbs with bettas...female or other wise. Tiger barbs,even when kept in good size schools, are notorious fin nippers. They can easily make a male betta look like something that came outta the paper shredder. I would imagine they could do equal damage to a female. Cherry barbs are smaller, and just as hardy and would make a better choice for the female bettas' tankmate. Another thing that you should keep in mind, is the stress the tigers may cause on the betta(s). While you may not see any shredded fins at first, it's what you don't see that could be the biggest problem...when a fish is stressed, it's protective slime coating starts to break down, thus leaving the fish exposed and more susceptible to all sorts of parasites,funguses, and other pathogens. You wouldn't want to lose one of your beautiful bettas to something like this would you?
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

Ive had both males and females in my community tank (at differnt times, not together) and it has worked out just fine, exept for when my guppies had babies and my red female betta gobbled them all up in a matter of days. I havent had any issues with them fighting with other fish.

Ok, i see how the tigerbarbs will get too big for a ten gallon when they are full grown.

maybe ill just keep one female with a nice sized school of neon tetras, that sounds a little better suited for the size tank ive got going now.

I really wanna move my big BP out of her 30 gallon long and into a big a big christmas tree storage rubbermaid that i have and setup a big fishtank in her 30 gal....but i dont know if that'll work
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adizziedoll
    First, let me say: Bettas completely rock. when I have a house, they are going to be EVERYWHERE.
    Ooh me too! Crowntails and halfmoons all around! Double tails are quite nice too..

April

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Post Re: Bettas with barbs ??

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon.O
    Ive had both males and females in my community tank (at differnt times, not together) and it has worked out just fine, exept for when my guppies had babies and my red female betta gobbled them all up in a matter of days. I havent had any issues with them fighting with other fish.
    yeah, all communities are different, and all bettas are too. I've had successful tanks with bettas, and not so successful.
    You could buy one single tiger tomorrow,(which actually, I've had more luck with singles than schools) and he could be an angel. You could also go out and buy a tiger tomorrow, and he terrorizes your tank and ultimately kills your fish. You just never know! They are all different.

Shelby- it's so cool how they are starting to carry crowntails everywhere- they are so gorgeous. I'm not sure if the doubles/ scissors are going to grow on me, but for right now they aren't really my bag

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

I prefer color over fin variey....I just looove the whites,yellows,and pearls!!! I would loove to have an orange or black, but i have never seen one.......for sale, that is.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast