Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,846

1 members and 2,845 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

breeding weight?

hey guys I have been searching on BP.net for 45 mins for the right thread b/c i know there was a thread asking the same question and i only found that the appropriate weight for the female to be 1500 grams....but what "should" the weight be for the male.

I'm am asking this question for the simple fact that me and my freind wanna breed our 2 normals together for some practice for next season but i do not want them to become gravid and die! So that is why I ask this ?
    Shawn

Thanks

Re: breeding weight?

Well, your male can't become Gravid but the breeding process takes its toll on both the male and female. Especially if they don't eat during the whole time, which some won't. Males tend to be better breeders after 800 gms.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Thumbs up Re: breeding weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheets12
    hey guys I have been searching on BP.net for 45 mins for the right thread b/c i know there was a thread asking the same question and i only found that the appropriate weight for the female to be 1500 grams....but what "should" the weight be for the male.

I'm am asking this question for the simple fact that me and my freind wanna breed our 2 normals together for some practice for next season but i do not want them to become gravid and die! So that is why I ask this ?
    Males vary as far as when there large enough to breed.This year my pastel male bred two females when he was only 500 grams.So far i have 8 babies(actual 11 eggs lost 3) from one female that he bred.He was only 8 months old at the time.The only one you really have to make sure is large enough and old enough is the female.She is the one who produces the eggs and everything.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

500grams of weight per foot of length.

For example, a 1500 gram, 3' female would have appropriate body mass to produce that season.

A 1500 gram, 5' female would be extremely skinny and would not be ready to produce.
    -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    The only one you really have to make sure is large enough and old enough is the female.She is the one who produces the eggs and everything.
    I disagree. You need to make sure the male is large enough so he can handle the rigors of breeding. I personally wouldn't breed a 500 gram male but that's just my opinion.

Thanks

Most books say that for the first time for a female, minimum weight should be 1500 grams. Future breeding after the first time should be 2000 grams or more.

Males, minimum 500 grams.

Keep in mind the age of the male and female. I choose not to breed a young ball python, even if they meet the weight requirements. Breeding an immature ball can be detremential to its health. As well as breeding too soon for a female.

Weight is important as previously posted, breeding takes a lot out of both male and female.