Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,813

2 members and 2,811 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Baby Painted Turtle Help!!!

I went to my trap meet today,(in which i placed 3rd, but really got second cause the scorer gave the other guy a hit when he missed, anyways) and a truck was trying to turn around near a sewage pond and some ground collapsed and the front tire got stuck in a 1-1 1/2 foot deep hole. after a tractor pulled him out i was looking at the hole and i saw a teenny weeny baby turtle. it is a baby painted turtle and is just a wee bit bigger than a quarter. We went to petsmart to get some pellets and some freeze-dried shrimp. will it eat the shrimp? the guy said we needed UVA and UVB light but i didnt have much money and didint really belive him, does anyone know if this is true or not? any other suggestions would be accepted and appreciated. i will try to get some good pics soon. i have him/her in a 10g with a little rock cave to crawl on and a 60w basking bulb. he also said it will eat small crickets, is this true?
    Last edited by gmmuscle91; 04-22-2006 at 09:50 PM.
    Cody
    ---------------------
    0.1.0 BP Normal (Princess)
    0.1.0 Anerythristic Corn Snake (Allison) For Sale
    Local Pickup Only
    PM Me For More Info

Thanks

Re: Baby Painted Turtle!!!

Yaaaay!! i already got him to eat part of a floating pellet food.
    Cody
    ---------------------
    Local Pickup Only
    PM Me For More Info

Thanks

I would do a google search. From what I could tell, painted turtles have to be fed in water. Something about a fixed tongue. I would think that they would need uva and uvb light. Since they bask in the sun, you will want to provide as much of a natural light as possible. In addition, I would look into local wildlife laws, since it may be illegal to house a wild caught animal.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    I would do a google search. From what I could tell, painted turtles have to be fed in water. Something about a fixed tongue. I would think that they would need uva and uvb light. Since they bask in the sun, you will want to provide as much of a natural light as possible. In addition, I would look into local wildlife laws, since it may be illegal to house a wild caught animal.
    he did eat it in the water. i meant that i dropped a pellet in and he ate bits of it. it looks like they need UVB light, but not UVA. the trap club was privately owned so it was found on private property and the owners said i could keep it.
    Cody
    ---------------------
    Local Pickup Only
    PM Me For More Info

Thanks

Just because it's private property doesn't mean you can keep whatever you find on it. The laws are applicable no matter if you own the property or not.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Yes it is illegal to keep it in Nebraska. Im pretty sure that the law says that all turtles have to be larger than 4" to keep and sell unless you are a breeder. I would release it immediately.

Thanks

the law states it is illegal to sell. not own a turtle under 4 in. i used to live in iowa (20 min from nebraska)

Thanks

i am from iowa (20 min from nebraska) the law states that it is illegal to sell not own a turtle under 4 inches. and no there is no law against keeping a turtle only large wild mammals. here is one of the care sheets i had on my computer. the rule of thumb is 10 gallons of water per square inch so if your turtle is 2 inches it needs a 20 gall tank. 3in=30gall.

Thanks

Turtle care.

So You’ve Got A Little Green Turtle & You Want To Know How To Care For It?

By

Richard Lunsford

Common Scenario: You’re sold a $15 ‘plastic lagoon’ bowl with a little palm tree, a little green turtle with red patches behind the eyes, & perhaps a little so-called ‘turtle food’ & told the turtle will grow to fit the bowl & live out its life there.

For starters you've been grossly misinformed by a man who probably broke a Federal law by selling a turtle whose carapace (top part of the shell) was under 4 inches (the 4” Law) for purposes other than research or education.

Do not worry that the FBI or even the Dept. of Natural Resources are about to kick in your door. The latter might get him, but it's highly unlikely anyone will bother you.

Many of us advise you do not buy from such people because it encourages the ignorant to remain in business, harming uncounted turtles. What this guy did is comparable to selling people St. Bernard puppies claiming you can keep them for life in a small pet carrier feeding nothing but beanie-weenies.

The small plastic cage is garbage; you may be able to use it to hold live insects and what-not you're going to feed the turtle. That's about it.

Now: clear your mind. It is time to learn from scratch. I wish you’d researched before buying, but let’s get you started.

Questions You Must Answer:

1.) What Kind of Turtle is it? Likely a red-eared slider (RES for short). This is a bright green turtle with a red ‘jelly bean’ shape behind each eye. Hatchlings are about 50 cent piece sized, adults somewhere between a milk saucer and a dinner plate. Keeping it in a small container will not limit its size; only malnutrition and poor health will do that, and not reliably or predictably. The turtle may live over 20 years. Note: Only follow the following advice if you have a red-eared slider, yellow-belly slider, cooter or painted turtle! A map turtle is also cared for this way but cleanliness is even more critical. Box turtles, snappers, soft shells, mud & musk turtles, tortoises & foreign turtles are less commonly sold by the ignorant. Make sure you don’t have a box turtle or tortoise, since they drown in an enclosure like I’m teaching you to make.

2.) What Size Enclosure can I afford? RES are basking turtles; they spend a lot of time sitting on logs taking in the sun, and a lot of time in the water. A hatchling RES deserves at an absolute minimum a 10 gallon aquarium, and preferably at least a 20 gallon long. An adult male RES needs at last a 55 gallon tank or larger for indoor housing, & a large female at least a 75 gallon. You should consider a 125 gallon aquarium for a female or over 2 male adult RES. Read: Setting Up Your First Enclosure.

3.) How much Water & what Heater? For a hatchling, fill that tank about ½ to 2/3’rd full. You need a submersible aquarium heater with a thermostat (so you can set a specific temperature) and set the temp. about 80 degrees. See that most of the tank is covered so the tank air stays fairly warm, especially at night when the light’s off. Put some driftwood & synthetic rocks (not abrasive concrete or lava rock!) & artificial plants (plastic, not silk) in the tank so the turtle can sit resting near the surface without having to choose between deep water & basking. This makes the deeper water workable. Read about Submersible Heaters (Ebo-Jager is well-recommended; Tronic’s okay, too).

4.) What Basking Spot? You will need a piece of driftwood that juts out of the water enough for the turtle to easily crawl out of the water and bask. You do not want to just pile up rocks because that takes away from the turtle’s swimming room. Read about basking options at: The Basking Spot.

5.) What Lighting? You need a basking light to shine onto the basking spot & keep its temperature around 85 degrees. A regular incandescent bulb (60 or 75 watt bulb) in an inexpensive lamp from Wal-mart should do fine. Ideally you should get a special kind of fluorescent light bulb that produces UV-B, a type of radiation that helps turtles metabolize vitamin D3 so their bodies can process calcium. The one most use is the ReptiSun 5.0. It costs about $40 (cheaper online), and after 6 months should be replaced. Note: UV-B light can’t penetrate glass. Note #2: the basking & UV-B lights should be turned off at night, providing a regular day/night cycle. Cheap timers from Wal-mart are wonderfully convenient. Read about Lighting (Basking/Heat and UV-B) and UV-B light Products.

Thanks

6.) What Filter? A good filter is critically important. Consider a Filstar XP3, for instance (it needs FilStar Bio-Chem Stars, sold separately; the Fluval 304 & 404 are okay but can be harder to prime), and go online (Pet Warehouse, Big Al’s Online or That Pet Place) to get the best prices. You should aim for about 3 times plus the filtration power you’d use for a fish (so a filter rated for 60 gallons if you’ve got a 20). It will take the filter about 4 to 6 weeks to ‘cycle’ with bacteria, & then it breaks down ammonia to nitrite to nitrate (a less toxic waste product). Read about Filtration, Water Quality & Filter Options.

7.) What Food & How Do I Feed? A nutritious diet is also critical. Of the commercial foods, Mazuri & ReptoMin are the ‘standards.’ Many turtles take right to commercial food but not all do. Unlike the ReptoMin can says, you do not feed 2-3 times per day. You feed once daily the first few months and every other day thereafter. RES become progressively herbivorous as they age, and high protein diets in high volume are suspected of causing kidney failure and shortened lifespan. ReptoMin is an okay staple, but supplement by offering Romaine (not iceberg) lettuce, the fresh water plant Anacharis (available at PetsMart pretty cheap), gut-loaded feeder crickets (if not gut loaded, their phosphorous to calcium ratio is bad; pet shops often sell gut-loaded), occasionally small earth worms or maybe once every couple of weeks small guppies. Do not make fish the mainstay of the diet; this is unnatural & unhealthy. Read more about What To Feed A Turtle and How Much & How Often.

9.) What Substrate? You don’t need gravel in the tank. It’s usually okay to have it, but the tank’s easier to clean without it. Some synthetic wood and rock tank ‘furniture’ is appreciated, though. The turtle will want to explore. You want an intellectually stimulating enclosure, not a prison cell.

10.) How Will I Secure the Tank? Escape-proof the tank – they climb better than you think. A screen top is best, but failing that, some netting material from Wal-mart’s sewing department and some duct tape can do the job. Remember UV-B light can’t penetrate glass.

11.) How Will I Prevent Night Chills? If your home is air-conditioned, for night-time use consider setting up a small lamp with a black heat bulb from the pet store to keep the air in the tank warm enough the little guy doesn’t get his lungs chilled. This may not be critical, but it would be a nice thing…

12.) Where Do I Go From Here? LEARN – READ – QUESTION – you made a start here. Read care sheets & other information at:

Austin’s Turtle Page – Many care sheets covering varied sliders (including RES), cooters, painted turtles, map turtles & others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast